Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps seized two US boats in Persian Gulf waters and detained 10 American marines but freed them after they apologized for trespassing Iranian territories. This story preoccupied almost all the Iranian press on Thursday. The Supreme Leader’s meeting with the organizers of a conference held in Iran to review Islam’s view on art and artistic activities also grabbed a number of headlines in the press.
Iran expects the final IAEA nuclear report on Tehran’s nuclear activities on Friday and this has soared optimism in the country’s stock market, has diminished foreign exchange rate and boosted the stocks. All the newspapers allocated at least a headline to these developments.
Following are the highlights of the dailies on Thursday, January 14, 2016.
1. Russian premier: We shall prepare for the world economic scenario
2. Iran among world’s 4 most welcoming countries for foreign refuge seekers
3. Indonesia’s Jokowi writes letters to Iran, Saudi leaders
4. FIFA offers $500k to Iran football federation
1. Pertonas returns as Iran oil buyer
2. Power export instead of crude oil during price slump, suggested Power Minister to Iranian Ministry of Petroleum
3. Iran in talks with France, Germany, Belgium to construct LNG carriers
4. Airbus ready for swift return to Iran
1. Leader: Islam approves of arts, encourages artists
2. US calls for seizing Iran’s blocked assets
3. Iran’s Petroleum Minister: Emergency OPEC meeting needs members’ consensus
1. US thanks Iran [for swiftly freeing American marines]
2. Imam Khomeini Relief Foundation office under attack in Somali
1. Wave of optimism in Iran market
Gold, forex price diminishing
Stock market poised for a leap as sanctions are to be lifted on Friday
2. US, EU issue final manual of style to lift Iran sanctions
3. Obama knocks US politics
US President Barack Obama slammed trading US politics
1. JCPOA implementation on Sunday
2. US sailors freed, received respectful treatment
A report by Ebtekar about seizing and freeing US marines in Persian Gulf waters.
1. Diplomacy of Boats
The ten US marines who had trespassed on Iran’s territorial waters and had been taken into Iranian custody by the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps forces, were released after less than a day.
2. Historic week in Iran
IAEA final nuclear report on Friday
Iran expects to see sanctions removed by weekend
3. Splendid funeral of Sacred Defense martyrs in Fars Province
4. Health Minister: People must be informed about the realities of AIDS
1. Leader: Islam approves of arts, encourages artists
Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei told a meeting of the organizers of the Fiqh of Art congress that not only does Islam endorse art, it also encourages it.
2. Saudis offer $10k monthly to terrorist mercenaries
3. Obama calls on US congress to authorize use of military force against ISIS
4. Funeral of 94 Sacred Defense martyrs
A ceremony was held in the southern province of Fars to bury the remains of 94 martyrs of the Iraq-imposed war on Iran (1980-88).
5. US thanks Iran for swift release of 10 Navy sailors
– US joins Saudi coalition to use Yemen as arms laboratory
Wednesday attacks by Saudi-led coalition killed 20, injured 14 in Yemeni territories.
1. Time arrives for sanctions removal
Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Abbas Araqchi said.
Iran stock market suddenly leapt as time approaches for removal of the US-led sanctions on Iran’s nuclear program.
2. Iran’s seizure of 10 US navy sailors from beginning to end
From nightly telephone conversations of Iran’s Foreign Minister Zarif with his US counterpart to the wise decision making of Iranian military commanders.
1. Special patients: sanctions hostages
A report on the bitter days of sanctions for supplying medicine for the sufferers of special diseases in Iran.
2. Iran tankers to recall at green continent ports
1. Speculations about imports of US goods
Edibles no; Cars yes
2. Obama defends his legacy in SOTU
US President Barack Obama vigorously defends his legacy in his final State of the Union address.
3. Islamic treatment towards US marines
1. US apology
US marines freed by Iran
2. Leader stresses need for setting Islamic framework for art
The organizers of the National Conference on Fiqh of Art visited the Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution, Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei.
3. Cyberspace: A cleanable world
4. Birthday parties pricier than weddings
1. US wealth in the hands of a few: Obama in a rare confession in SOTU
2. US marines apologized, won freedom
3. French gov’t seeks Iranian artists
France offers Iranian painter Aydin Aghdashloo legion of honor badge.
1. No sanctions next week
2. Saudi air strike kills brother of fugitive Yemen president in Sana’a
3. Egyptian military in Saudi-led coalition against Yemen
4. Major tourism shock by Istanbul blast
1. US tests, IRGC browbeats [US army in Persian Gulf]
God father of Persian Gulf sheiks humiliated
US marines freed after apologizing
2. Mamasani citizens’ impressive welcoming of martyrs’ convoy
3. Yemen used as laboratory to test US arms: world media
1. Iraqi FM mocks Arab Leagues’ accusation of Iran as a terrorist supporter
2. Iran to offer 160,000 Mehr Houses in Fajr Decade
Iran has prepared 160,000 houses in the Maskan-e Mehr housing initiative and will offer them to their owners during a 10-day period which marks the anniversary of the victory of the 1979 Islamic Revolution in February.
1. Stock market soars, forex rate slides
Only a few days to implementation of the nuclear deal and the long-sought sanctions relief on Iran’s nuclear program, Iran’s stock market prepares to recover from recession while foreign exchange rate drops.
2. Iran eyes unfreezing of $30bn
Iran says it has started the proceedings for the much-awaited unfreezing of a total of around $30 billion as envisaged by a nuclear deal it struck with the P5+1 group of countries last July.
3. US seeks trade delegation swap with Iran
1. Iran frees 5,000 manslaughter convicts in 9 months
2. New campaign supports labor kids
A report on how business owners carry out their social responsibilities in Iran.
1. The melody of sanctions relief
A report by Ta’adol on the effects of sanctions relief on Iran’s economy.
2. 4 stock peaks conquered
Iran’s stock market is soaring a few days prior to the sanctions removal.