IFP has taken a look at the front pages of Iranian newspapers on Thursday, May 17, and picked headlines from 18 of them. IFP has simply translated the headlines and does not vouch for their accuracy.
The top story in many newspapers today was the remarks made by EU Foreign Policy Chief Federica Mogherini about the fate of the Iran nuclear deal. Mogherini has stressed that the EU cannot give Iran any guarantee, but it will do its best to protect the European investments in Iran.
Several papers also covered North Korea’s threat to cancel a planned meeting between Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump.
A deal between Iran and the British consortium Pergas also made the headlines today, as the UK became the first Western state to enter business with Iran following the US withdrawal from the JCPOA and the upcoming return of sanctions on the Islamic Republic.
The above issues, as well as many more, are highlighted in the following headlines and top stories:
1- Rouhani to His Opponents’ Attacks after Trump’s Decision: Where Are You Heading to?
2- Hatamikia: I Can’t Understand Why Jafar Panahi Banned from Leaving Iran
1- P4+1 Deal on Commitment to JCPOA Obligations
- Zarif: JCPOA Joint Commission to Hold Meeting
1- Mystery of Europe’s Support for Iran Nuclear Deal
1- Europe Gives the Green Light for Standing against US
- Iran, Europe’s Solutions to Save Iran Nuclear Deal
1- Pyongyang: We Won’t Turn into Libya
- North Korea Threatens to Cancel Planned Meeting between Its Leader, Trump
1- Rouhani: People Shouldn’t Be Worried, We Know What We’re Doing
2- Palestinian Ambassador to Tehran: We Won’t Give Up Even One Metre of Our Lands
3- Iran Exports $1.1 Billion Worth of Petchem Products Last Month
4- Afghan Security Forces’ Attack on Taliban Positions Leaves 300 Dead
1- Assembly of Experts Not in Position to Monitor President’s Performance
- A Legal Review of Assembly of Experts’ Duties
1- Oil Deal without the Intruder
- Pergas Consortium Signs Deal with Iran’s National Oil Company
2- North Korea Threatens to Cancel Meeting between Jong-un, Trump
3- Rouhani: World’s Public Opinion, Even in US, Supports Iran Today
1- Russian, German Leaders to Meet in Sochi
- Ukraine, Iran Nuclear Deal Key Focus of Talks
1- Europe Didn’t Give a Guarantee
- Mogherini: Let Me Put It Clearly, It’s Now Very Difficult after Trump’s Pullout
2- Rouhani: People Shouldn’t Be Worried, We Know What We’re Doing
1- Another Sign that Shows Why It’s Necessary to Return to Domestic Capacities
- Mogherini: We Won’t Give Any Guarantee!
2- Government Shouldn’t Rely on Europeans
3- North Korea: We Won’t Destroy Our Nuclear Weapons
4- Millions of People around the World Protest against Zionist Regime
5- 80 Int’l Bodies: Prosecute Israeli Leaders
6- After Murder of 63 Palestinians in a Few Hours
- Haley Says Israel Must Show Restraint, Palestinians Must Apologize
1- Iran, Russia to Form Foreign Exchange Union
1- Iran on Verge of Joining Eurasia Economic Union
- Gov’t Agrees to Sign Preferential Trade Agreement with Eurasia Union
1- Reformists Hold Meeting at Night to Discuss Larijani’s Speakership in Parliament
1- Time to Revive Forgotten Clothes
- Women of Hormozgan Talk of Permission to Wear Local Costumes
1- UK Pioneers in Signing Deal with Iran after US Withdrawal from JCPOA
1- ICT Minister Advises Domestic Messengers to Win People’s Trust
1- Haniyeh: Rise of Return to Continue
- Protests in Solidarity with Palestinians Held across World
2- Oil Minister’s Impeachment over Crescent Deal: MPs Talk of $18 Billion Fine for Iran