The Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran (AEOI) says the country will not extend the two-month deadline it gave Europe to compensate for the US’ withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal.
Back on May 8, Iran announced its decision to scale down its commitments under the 2015 nuclear deal in reaction to the US violation of its obligations and Europe’s failure to compensate for the US’ 2018 withdrawal from the accord. Tehran gave Europe a two-month deadline to fulfil its commitments, otherwise it will take “further measures”.
AEOI Spokesman Behrouz Kamalvandi said on Wednesday the Islamic Republic has completed the second phase of the scaling down process exactly as planned and the remaining measures will be taken accordingly.
Kamalvandi underlined all parties should fulfil their promises under the agreement and Tehran cannot abide by its obligations if the other parties to the JCPOA refuse to take practical measures.
“Our message is clear, and in practice the meaning of their behaviour is that they do not want to abide by their obligations, or do not have the ability to.”
“In that case, we will act in accordance with the orders of our Leader and parliament laws,” he stated in an interview with ICANA, warning Europe that its 60-day deadline will not be extended on July 8.
On May 17, Iran announced that its stockpile of low-enriched uranium will surpass 300 kg in 10 days. Based on the JCPOA, Iran was not allowed to have more than 300 kilograms of uranium stockpile and also more than 130 tonnes of heavy water.
Tehran has cited articles 26 and 36 of the JCPOA that allow it to take such action if one of the signatories withdraws from the deal at any point of time.
This comes in the wake of US unilateral withdrawal from the accord last year.