Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has slammed Friday’s terror attack on a Shiite mosque in Kuwait which claimed the lives of more than two dozen people.
The Iranian president hit out at the attack on Imam al-Sadeq Mosque in a letter of condolences to Kuwaiti Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah on Saturday.
At least 27 people were killed and over 220 more injured when an explosion rocked the mosque in Kuwait City’s busy al-Sawabir district.
A Saudi national is reportedly being held responsible for the attack and several suspects have been detained by police for questioning over the bombing which was claimed by the ISIL terror group.
Rouhani offered condolences to the Kuwaiti emir, government, and people, and said the world can build on the teachings of Islam as well as public participation, increased efforts, and cooperation to eradicate terrorism and violence and allow security and peace to prevail in the region.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham said earlier in the day that three Iranians were killed and several injured in the terrorist attack on the Kuwaiti mosque.
Kuwait declared a national day of mourning Saturday and held a mass funeral for the victims of the attack.
Such actions in a place of worship during the holy month of Ramadan are designed to defame Islam and to create division among Muslims, President Rouhani noted.