The Iranian judiciary says serious measures will be taken by officials to identify and prosecute the perpetrators of recent acid attacks in Isfahan.
Iran’s Judiciary Spokesman Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejei vowed that the criminals who have staged the recent acid attacks on a number of women in the central city of Isfahan will soon be given a harsh punishment.
“The acid attacks in Isfahan last week were unpleasant, criminal acts. The case involving these attacks should be pursued by relevant officials and serious measures should be taken to identify and prosecute the perpetrators,” Ejei told reporters in his weekly press conference in Tehran on Monday.
He underlined that the suspects, if convicted, should be handed harsh sentences as a message to other potential criminals.
The judiciary spokesman rejected media reports that the women were attacked for “not respecting hijab (Islamic code of dressing)”.
A string of acid attacks against at least four women in Isfahan last week prompted public outcry. Under the Iranian law, if convicted, the suspect could face the death penalty.
The state news agency reported on Sunday that Iranian authorities have arrested four people suspected of throwing acid on women.