Major General Mohammad Baqeri, the Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces, made the remarks on Monday in reaction to recent anti-Iran accusations.
General Baqeri stressed that Iran is brave enough to accept responsibility for its actions.
He then blamed the “enemy” for the recent attacks on the oil tankers.
“The enemy makes any worthless move to divert the resistance [front] from its path,” said general Baqeri, the chairman of the General Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces.
“The ridiculous and worthless actions against the oil tankers in the Sea of Oman and the Indian Ocean are but some of such actions. They want to lead the people in the region and across the world to believe that Iran is carrying out its threats” he said.
The top commander reiterated that if Iran decides to block the Strait of Hormuz, no single vessel or oil tanker will be able to cross the waterway.
The top general said as long as no one creates problems for the Strait of Hormuz, Iran will ensure its security, adding, “As long as the Islamic Republic of Iran’s oil is exported, others can also export their petroleum with security.”
“The Islamic Republic of Iran ensures security in the Strait of Hormuz and the Sea of Oman, and we have announced, time and again, that the security of the Strait of Hormuz and the Persian Gulf is as important as the country’s domestic security,” he said.
The top commander underlined that Iran’s Armed Forces have control over the Persian Gulf and Strait of Hormuz, and, hence, are able to ensure security in those regions.
“Last month, some suspicious incidents happened in the south of the Sea of Oman. The US and the Zionist regime [of Israel] and a few of their reactionary supporters in the region attributed those events to the Islamic Republic of Iran,” the top commander noted.
He further said Iran is capable of blocking the Strait of Hormuz.
“We are able to block the Strait of Hormuz if we want to, and our move will be in such a way that not even a single drop of oil will cross the strait,” he said.
Elsewhere in his remarks, the top general touched upon Washington’s withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA). He said Tehran scaled back some of its commitments under the deal due to the US pullout from the agreement.
General Baqeri then touched upon the United States’ double standards in dealing with Iran.
“The enemy has adopted the strategy of pressure in dealing with Iranian people, but, in word, it speaks of talks and understanding,” the senior commander said.
He said no one would believe the Americans’ claim that they want to reach a compromise and understanding with Iran at a time when the White House adds to its sanctions against Iran every week.
He also referred to the power of Iran’s deterrence doctrine.
“Whatever happens, the enemy says it has no intention of waging war, which is due to the deterrence established by the Iranian nation and Armed Forces,” general Baqeri said.