Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the Europeans are not in a position to condemn Iran in any area, particularly the country’s regional and defensive policies.
Speaking to reporters on Sunday, he lashed out at the Europeans for their destructive regional policies and said the policies of Europe in particular and those of the West in general have only left destruction in the Middle East.
Some countries like Germany stopped selling arms to Saudi Arabia which are used in the Saudi aggression against Yemen but there are many others which are still providing the Saudi regime with arms, he said.
The Europeans have allowed despotic regimes in the region to commit crimes, he added.
Iran’s top diplomat then referred to the 2015 nuclear deal and said based on the JCPOA, Iran’s economic situation should become normalized. “So, the Europeans should explain to what extent they are ready to try to normalize Iran’s economic ties.”
He underlined that when it comes to the JCPOA, efforts are not enough by themselves. “We need results. The Europeans say they have done whatever in their power but no result has been achieved yet. We can do the same and do our best without yielding any tangible result,” he concluded.
Zarif is to meet his German counterpart, Heiko Maas, on Monday in Tehran. He is expected to discuss the future of the Iran nuclear deal which is in a limbo following the US unilateral withdrawal from the deal last year. Iran has repeatedly blamed the Europeans for their passive approach towards preserving the nuclear accord.
Iran’s Actions Proportionate to Europe’s Moves
In his Sunday remarks, Zarif also noted that Iran will take action on the Iran nuclear deal proportionate to the steps taken by the Europeans.
He said a snapback mechanism remains an option if Europe makes good on its commitments with regards to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
“If they take action in accordance with their obligations, we will either stop our actions or scale them down proportionate to the steps they take,” he told reporters.
The top diplomat said Iran has already announced its program regarding the actions the country will take in the 60 days it has given Europeans to revisit their approach and deliver on their obligations
“We have announced our program. We said that we would do such and such in the first sixty days, and such and such in the next 60 days, and later we will decide about our next moves,” Zarif noted.