Thursday, October 6, 2022

Chitgar Lake; Popular Recreational Site in Western Tehran

Chitgar Lake is an artificial and recreational lake located to the north of Chitgar Park in northwestern Tehran, the capital of Iran.

Also known as the Lake of the Martyrs of the Persian Gulf, the complex has a total area of around 250 hectares; 130 hectares across the lake and 120 hectares on its coastal zone and resorts.

About 80% of the body of water comes from Kan Creek, and the remaining 20% comes from central areas and surface runoffs of the district.

In 1968, within the first master plan of the city of Tehran, it was planned to construct a lake in western Tehran. But due to technical and budgetary constraints, the construction of the lake remained dormant for many years.

From 2003 to 2010, some detailed studies were accomplished and the uncertainties of the plan were reviewed. Eventually, the construction of the lake area began in September 2010.

The lakeshore landscape becomes very fascinating at the sunset and nights. Here are some photos of the Chitgar lake retrieved from Tehran Picture Agency:

› Subscribe


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Articles