World

Israeli DM wants control over Gaza amid ceasefire deal push

Israel's defence minister has stated the military plans to have indefinite control over the Gaza Strip even after "defeating Hamas", as indirect ceasefire talks reportedly move closer to an agreement.

Israel planning to conduct military operation against Yemen: KAN

The Israeli army is planning to strike Yemen in response to the recent Houthi missile and drone attacks against Israel, the Israeli Public Broadcasting Corporation Kan reported.

Palestinians sue US gov’t over assistance to Israel’s military

Five Palestinians in the besieged Gaza Strip, the occupied West Bank and the United States have sued the US government to try to cut off American assistance to the Israeli military over its involvement in serious human rights abuses.

Saudi Arabia, Israel closing to normalisation agreement amid regional tensions: Haaretz

Riyadh and Tel Aviv have reached a breakthrough in talks around normalising relations, Haaretz reported on Tuesday, adding that the normalisation could be related to an elusive ceasefire deal that would bring about an end to the war in the Gaza Strip.

Mass grave found near Damascus could contain thousands of bodies

A mass grave that could contain the remains of thousands of people has been found outside Syria’s capital Damascus. The new interim government has promised to hold accountable those responsible for atrocities under the ousted President Bashar al-Assad.

UNGA adopts resolution stressing Palestinians right to self-determination

The United Nations General Assembly has adopted a resolution affirming the Palestinian people’s right to self-determination by an overwhelming majority.

Almost 13k students killed in Gaza, West Bank since October 2023

Nearly 13,000 students have been killed by Israel in the Gaza Strip and the occupied West Bank since the regime launched its onslaught against the besieged enclave more than 14 months ago.

Trump claims Turkey behind overthrow of Assad government in Syria

US President-elect Donald Trump has claimed that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was behind an "unfriendly takeover" of Syria, referring to the fall of the Bashar al-Assad government earlier this month.

Top Russian general, his aide killed in Moscow explosion

Chief of Russia’s Radiation, Chemical and Biological Protection Troops Lieutenant General Igor Kirillov and his aide were killed in a blast in Moscow on Tuesday.

No place for Russia, or Iran in Syria’s future: EU

The European Union foreign policy chief has called for the elimination of Russian and Iranian influence in Syria’s future following the fall of Bashar al-Assad

Palestinian source says Gaza ceasefire deal close

A "new dynamic" has emerged in the negotiations between Israel and Hamas over a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip, with a senior Palestinian source telling Middle East Eye that both sides are closer than ever to reaching an agreement.

Several Middle Eastern states condemn Israeli plans to expand settlements in Golan Heights

Several countries in the region have condemned Israel’s plan to expand settlements in Syria’s occupied Golan Heights after the fall of former President Bashar al-Assad by opposition fighters.

Russian leader warns of limits to defense spending

Moscow cannot increase its military spending indefinitely at the expense of other spheres of society, Russian President Vladimir Putin has warned.

Pentagon claims North Korean forces suffer casualties in Russia’s Kursk

North Korean troops have joined combat operations in the Kursk Oblast, marking the first confirmed engagement of the Asian country's soldiers alongside the Russian military, Pentagon spokesperson Major General Patrick Ryder has stated.

Yemen’s Houthis says conducted hypersonic missile strike against Israel

Yemen’s Houthi group has claimed it launched a missile attack targeting central Israel, vowing to continue its military operations against the regime until the Gaza war ends.

Russia updates Ukrainian losses estimate

The Ukrainian army lost more than half a million servicemen this year and a total of over one million since the war began in 2022, Russian Defense Minister Andrey Belousov has claimed.

Assad appears to release first statement since fall of Syrian gov’t

Former Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has dismissed claims that he planned to flee the country following the rebel takeover, in what is said to be his first statement since his overthrow earlier this month.

Gaza death toll tops 45,000

At least 52 more Palestinians were killed in Israeli attacks in the Gaza Strip over the last 24 hours, bringing the overall death toll since last year to 45,028, the Health Ministry in the besieged enclave announced on Monday.

EU adopts 15th package of sanctions against Russia over Ukraine war

The Council of the European Union has adopted its 15th package of sanctions against Moscow, targeting the Russian shadow fleet of tankers and the military-industrial complex.

South Africa not to invite Putin to G20 summit over ICC arrest warrant

Russian President Vladimir Putin will not be invited to the next G20 summit due to a pending arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC), a spokesperson of the South African president told TASS news agency.

US and UK militaries jointly strike Houthi targets in Yemen

US and UK air forces have conducted air attacks against several targets in western Yemen linked to the Houthi group, according to Al-Masirah TV.

No lifting of Syria sanctions until rights and unity are guaranteed: EU

The European Union will not lift sanctions on Syria before its new rulers ensure minorities are not persecuted and women’s rights are protected within a unified government that disavows religious extremism, the EU’s top diplomat has stated.

Assad airlifts $250mn in cash to Russia in 2018-2019: FT

The government of Syria's  fallen President Bashar al-Assad sent approximately $250 million in cash to Moscow between 2018 and 2019, amid escalating sanctions by the West as well as deepening financial dependence on Russia for military and economic support, according to a report by the Financial Times.

Britain confirms diplomatic contact with new Syrian leadership

The UK government has confirmed having "diplomatic contact" with Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS), the Syrian group that recently overthrew the Bashar Assad government.

Israel approves plan to increase settler population in Golan Heights

Israel’s government has approved a plan to surge the number of settlers in the occupied Golan Heights. It comes days after Tel Aviv seized more Syrian territory following the toppling of Syria’s longtime leader Bashar al-Assad.

Latest news