Major General Hossein Salami on Wednesday referred to the Trump administration’s recent move to sanction a number of IRGC commanders, and described it as a passive reaction to the IRGC Air Defence’s shoot-down of the highly advanced US drone which had violated the Iranian airspace.
After a blow was dealt on them by the IRGC Aerospace Force and the hollow splendor of America was once again undermined, it is normal for them to seek to take revenge by making moves that lack any logic or rationality, he noted.
General Salami congratulated the IRGC commanders blacklisted by the US, and described the sanctions as a proof of Washington’s frustration, desperation, and anger with the Islamic Republic’s greatness.
He also noted that the scenario of banning IRGC commanders and other top Iranian authorities is a “hackneyed”, “worthless”, and “futile” trick.
“Imposing sanctions against the IRGC and its commanders – who have defeated the US’ satanic policies in the region – is nothing new,” the top commander said, adding that the new bans would result in nothing but a boosted determination to strip the country of aggressions.
US President Donald Trump has announced new sanctions against Iran targeting Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and top commanders of the IRGC.
Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif was also going to be targeted by new sanctions, according to some reports.
Trump signed an executive order in the Oval Office of the White House on Monday that he said will deny the Leader’s office and other Iranian officials access to financial instruments.
Trump also said the sanctions would have been imposed regardless of the Tehran’s downing of a surveillance US drone last week by the IRGC. He claimed the Leader was ultimately responsible for what Trump called “the hostile conduct of the regime.”