Warning: Declaration of td_module_single_base::get_image($thumbType) should be compatible with td_module::get_image($thumbType, $css_image = false) in /home/ifpy3580/public_html/wp-content/themes/Newspaper-child/includes/wp_booster/td_module_single_base.php on line 0
The church of Sohreqeh in the northwestern Iranian province of East Azarbaijan is a historical building belonging to the Catholic Armenians.
Sohreqeh or Sohrel Church is located on a hill overlooking Sohrel village, 40 kilometres northwest of Tabriz. It is named after John the apostle, called “Surp Hovhannes” in Armenian language.
The church dates back to the fifth or sixth century AD; however, its building has been destroyed and reconstructed many times. The current building, constructed by Russian and French architects and Azerbaijani masters, dates back to 1840. Its brick dome is an important work of Qajar era.