On Thursday, January 21, 2016, most Iranian press were grieved by the anniversary of the martyrdom of Hazrat Fatemeh Masoumeh, the sister of Imam Reza (8th Shia imam) who is buried in the central city of Qom. The Supreme Leader’s assertions regarding the upcoming parliamentary elections and readiness of international companies and countries to enter Iran’s market in the post-sanctions setting were primarily focused by Iranian press; the following are Thursday’s highlights.
- Leader: System’s opponents should vote in the election but not be let in Parliament
- Iran sends Araqchi to Jeddah
Iran has sent Deputy Foreign Minister Seyyed Abbas Araqchi to Saudi Arabia to attend a meeting of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Tensions between Tehran and Riyadh escalated after Saudi authorities executed prominent Shia cleric Sheik Nimr al-Nimr and a number of fervent Iranian individuals attacked the Saudi Embassy in Tehran last month. Since then, numerous countries including China and Pakistan have tried to broker détente between the two OPEC members.
- Guardian Council will not give in under pressure: body’s head Ahmad Jannati
- Guardian Council rules out e-voting
Iran’s Guardian Council has rejected a plan for electronic voting ahead of the February elections for the Parliament and the Assembly of Experts.
- Unemployment rises by 356,000 all at once
- UN peacekeepers concerned over new fighting in Sudan’s Darfur
- Gov’t Spokesman: 35% rise in salaries of state employees next year
- Korea calls for $3 discount to buy Iran oil
- EU firms ready to build roads in Iran
- Pakistan calls for free trade with Iran
- Glut immerses global oil market
- Japan to lift sanctions on Iran Friday
- Petroleum industry first target of sanction: deputy minister
- House of Saudi, more aggressive than Zionists
- Iran, Czech bent on boosting mutual ties
- Economy’s biggest problem is being state-run: Minister
- problems faced by of modern parents in families
- Leader decries Saudi Embassy attack in Tehran
- Iran President set to visit Italy
- Abortion drug sold on Iranian market
- 30 provincial governors disqualified
Arman quoted a reformist figure, saying the reformist front has no intention of pulling out of parliamentary election campaigns now that the Guardian Council has disqualified a shockingly large number of reformist hopefuls in its screenings.
- Zarif: Iran not a single-voiced country
- Zarif in Davos: Saudi Arabia panicked by nuclear deal
- Leader: Nation, election’s final winner
Leader: Retaliate US breach
- Iran’s Rouhani to visit Italy, France next week
- Islamabad not to join Any anti-Iran coalition: Pakistani Defense Minister
Pakistani Defense Minister Khawaja Asif said Islamabad under no circumstances would join a military alliance against Iran.
- Strong turnout will guarantee sound elections: Leader
- Tehran-Riyadh military clash not possible: Iran FM
Speaking in Davos, Iranian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mohammad Javad Zarif said the military confrontation of Iran and Saudi Arabia is not possible and would not benefit anyone.
IRR3,000b facilities for exporters of goods to Russia
- Leader: Abide by the very framework of law
Addressing a meeting with members of the Guardian Council, the vetting committee of Iran’s February Parliamentary and Assembly of Experts elections, the Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution called on adherence to the very framework of law in the elections.
- Students’ bloodshed in Peshawar; At least 19 killed in attack on Bacha Khan University in Pakistan
- Multinational medicine giants poised for Iran return
- Health Minister proposed JCPOA II
Dr. Hashemi says JCPOA II will aim at reducing social chasms and boosting national unity and integrity in the country.
- Ahmed Shaheed’s clumsy human rights game on Iran
The U.N.’s special “rapporteur” on human rights in Iran, Ahmed Shaheed, in his latest report has called on getting tougher on Iran parallel with JCPOA implementation.
- Insurance policy for marriage
- 15% may be added to the number of qualified candidates
- Leader: Nowhere in the world they let in system’s opponents
- Zarif: US addicted to coercion
- Nuclear game not finished yet; not fair
- IRGC Chief: Supporting Gaza a duty for all Muslim and non-Muslim nations
- IRGC Commander: Iran to Foil Zionist Plot to Disintegrate Iraq, Syria
- Leader outlines criteria for sound competitive elections
- All sanctions on 9 Iranian banks lifted
- Zionist plot to form autonomous Kurdistan state between Iran, Turkey
- 50 Human Rights bodies call for ousting Saudi Arabia from UN Human Rights Council
Leader urges voters to choose candidates that will not sell the country to enemy
- Clear stance
A report on Leader’s assertions regarding the JCPOA implementation, February Parliamentary and Assembly of Experts elections, honoring capture and freeing of US marines, and condemnation of the mob attack of Saudi embassy in Iran.
- Opinion: What China seeks in Middle East
- Nawaz Sharif: Iran agreed to meet with Saudis
- Zarif to AP: US missile sanctions illegal
- Iran discovers gas reserve in Persian Gulf
- Iran unveils fresh images of Iran in Davos
Foreign Minister Zarif and Presidential Chief of Staff Mohammad Nahavandian outlined Rouhani administration’s economic, diplomatic priorities in post-sanctions setting.
- Promising outlook of Iran-China ties
- Attack on Saudi, UK embassies detrimental to country, Islam: Leader
- Editorial: Post-JCPOA chance for development
- Israel: Iran more dangerous than ISIL
- Violation of laws, women’s biggest concern
Veep: JCPOA victory of logic over force
- Obama openly seeks Iran ties
- Iran oil industry poised for $200b capitals
- Iran President: Iran, EU to bolster ties
- Report on how 62 tycoons put half of the world population into poverty
- Report: How Saudis aim to render Iran oil industry insolvent
0.5% share of Iran of global tourism market
Judiciary steps in to contain pollution in big cities
- No plans to put LNG projects to tender by Iran
- Iran, Pakistan appoint representatives to broker Iran-Saudi détente
– The last word
A report on the Leader’s statements regarding the upcoming elections in Iran