On January 19, 2016only two days after sanctions removal, what grabbed most of the Press headlines, surprisingly enough, was not Iranian market’s recovery, plunging prices and promises by authorities of a better life for Iranian people as it was long hoped by the nation during the course of the nuclear talks. Instead, screening results of the qualities of Parliament and Assembly of Experts hopefuls by the Guardian Council which disqualified 60% of the candidates, among who were outstanding applicants like the Imam Khomeini’s grandson of Seyed Hassan Khomeini and many others, made many headlines.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani and Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani’s bid to talk the Guardian Council into reconsidering its vetting results also prompted a lot of stories by newspapers on the day.
The new US sanctions on Iran’s missiles program only one day after the implementation day was also taken up by most Iranian dailies on Tuesday.
What follows are the highlights:
1. Foreign Ministry: 28 Iranian inmates freed from US prisons thanks to deal
2. US to pay Iran $1.7 bn in debt and interest: Kerry
3. Amano: IAEA duty-bound to maintain impartial, apolitical in its efforts
4. UNSC calls off sanctions on Iran’s Bank Sepah
5. Turkey has a long way to go before EU membership: Merkel
1. German Chancellor to visit Iran
2. Tehran, Berlin form agricultural committee
Iranian Agricultural Jihad Minister Mahmoud Hojjati said Iran and Germany has set up a working committee in agricultural cooperation.
1. 24% pension hike in Iran
Iran’s head of the Management and Planning Organization Mohammad Bagher Nobakht said Iranian pensioners will see a 24% rise in their monthly pensions next Iranian fiscal year beginning on March 21.
2. Rouhani writes to Leader
The letter details 11 achievements of implementation of the nuclear deal Iran reached with world powers in July.
3. No “wine” in books no more
An official with Iran’s ministry of culture and Islamic Guidance said the word “wine” will no more be allowed in the books published in the Iranian book market.
4. The daily also covers a report on views of senior Islamic clerics who underwrite the religious and scientific qualities of Hassan Khomeini (grandson of Imam Khomeini) as a candidate in the Assembly of Experts elections.
The story is entitled as:
Grand Ayatollah Javadi Amoli:
Mr. Hassan is among the greatest jurisprudence scholars
5. 60% of parliament hopefuls disqualified on implementation day
Ayatollah Rafsanjani congratulates nuclear achievements, condoles on
1. Iran returns to global markets
A report on the short-term impact of sanctions removal on Iran’s economy.
2. Bosses in talks
A report on mediation efforts by President Hassan Rouhani and Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani on the controversial disqualification of outstanding parliament and Assembly of Experts hopefuls. The Guardian Council, the body in charge of vetting the qualities of candidates, announced earlier this week, that nearly 60% of the candidates are disqualified.
3. Veep: Share of oil in budget zero by end of Rouhani administration
Vice-President Eshaq Jahangiri has said the country’s national budget will no longer rely on the country’s crude oil revenues by the end of President Rouhani’s term in office in 2017. On Sunday, the Iranian president submitted the national budget bill to the parliament for consideration which considers a 25% share of oil revenues in the budget.
4. Judiciary Chief: JCPOA outcome, valuable, logical, rational
1. The daily’s main headline focused calls by President Rouhani and Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani on the Guardian Council which disqualified nearly 60% of parliament hopefuls for the upcoming elections. The cover story’s title was: “Time for Talks”
2. JCPOA judge in Tehran
A report on Amano’s Tehran visit on Monday
3. Judiciary Chief: We ensure security of investors
4. A review of the next year’s national budget bill in a story entitled as: What needs to be known about next year’s budget
1. Rouhani to Leader: Path to dignified economic prosperity open
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani in a letter to the Supreme Leader Seyyed Ali Khamenei unfolded the administration’s nuclear, political, legal and economic achievements.
2. Veep: People to see result of sanctions removal presently
3. Budget bill considers more social welfare
4. President in talks with Guardian Council on disqualifications
The Guardian Council, the body in charge of screening the qualities of candidates, announced earlier this week, that nearly 60% of the candidates is disqualified.
5. Iranian banks reconnected to SWIFT
6. Report: Challenges of developing solar energy
1. Judiciary Chief: Sanctions snap back unacceptable
2. Key Saudi embassy attackers detained
3. Rouhani to Leader: Iran to foil efforts by enemy to undermine [the deal]
4. Health Ministry Spokesman: no medicine price change by JCPOA
5. Hollande says France in state of economic emergency
1. Rouhani, Larijani in talks with Guardian Council [on disqualifications]
2. Proposal: No cars on Tuesdays
3. 3 main Saudi embassy attackers captured
4. Head of Expediency Council: JCPOA Rouhani’s grand victory
5. Iran Khodro inks 1st MoU with Mercedes
– Iran Defense Minister: Iran strongly responds US sanctions on Tehran missile program
1. US to trace unfreeze Iran cash: Kerry
2. Iran missile sanctions on EU table
3. Rouhani to Leader: Iran will reciprocate any breach in deal
– Iran banking sanctions lifted
Ottawa appears ready to lift sanctions against Iran after landmark deal by U.S.
1. Iran bent on reclaiming lost oil market share; order to raise crude exports by 500k/d
2. Iran, IAEA sketch fresh cooperation road map
Head of the Iranian Atomic Energy Organization Ali Akbar Salehi said he will meet IAEA Secretary General Amano in Tehran.
3. No price rise in energy carriers [in Iran]
4. Iran Foreign Ministry reacts to fresh US sanctions
5. Hezbollah hails JCPOA as strategic achievement, upholding resistance power
– Guardian Council break record in screenings: 16 nominees for every chair!
1. South Pars flaring reduces
2. 60 Saudi, UAE officers, mercenaries killed in Ansarullah missile attack to Ma’rib
3. Will Google forecast or build future?
1. Economist: Recession caused by relating all problems to nuclear talks
2. New act unveiled of Erdogan dictatorship
3. Merkel ultimatum to Ankara
4. Bibi’s anger of JCPOA implementation
1. Hashemi Rafsanjani: Nuclear deal, Admin’s great job like accepting 598 UNSC Resolution
2. Iranian Rudi Völler dies; football player Reza Ahadi dies at 53
3. Benz officially returns to Iranian roads
– Iran, economic winner of sanctions removal
95% of world’s media run by most aggressive human enemies: Iran Cmdr.