Iran is positioning itself as a regional peacemaker and a global trade partner for international companies and world countries now that the US-engineered sanctions on Tehran’s nuclear agenda are being removed thanks to the historic nuclear deal Iran, the third largest OPEC crude oil exporter, struck with the P5+1 group of countries back in July. As a first move since last week that the sanctions’ removal began, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has started a whistle-blow tour to Europe to seek economic opportunities with the green continent. This grabbed a lot of headlines on Wednesday, January 27, 2016. Moreover, Rouhani’s meeting with Pope Francis in Vatican and the Iranian business delegation accompanying Rouhani also won some headlines as well.
Regarding domestic developments, the Guardian Council, the body responsible for vetting the Islamic credentials of parliamentary and Assembly of Experts hopefuls in the late February elections, announced its final decision regarding the list of qualified nominees that can start their election campaigns across the country. Among the most outstanding hopefuls that took many headlines were Hashemi Rafsanjani who was qualified and Hassan Khomeini, grandson of the founder of the Islamic Revolution, Imam Khomeini, was announced disqualified.
Here are the main titles:
1- Iran to transfer gold dome of two Shia Imams to Samarra once safety is restored
2- Hashemi Rafsanjani qualifies for Assembly of Experts
1- Parliament nods motion to bolster Basij militia
2- Rouhani: Iran not intended to interfere in any country
3- Putin threat to Turkey شايد threatens باشد
4- Iran, Spain sign cooperation documents
1- Historic meeting in Vatican
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani met Pope Francis in Vatican during a European tour aimed at positioning Tehran as a potential top player in efforts to resolve Middle East conflicts, including Syrian civil war.
2- “Enough for now”
“I will talk in a day or two,” said Mr. Khomeini. “Whatever comes to us is what he [the almighty God] wants.”
Seyyed Hassan Khomeini, who was disqualified for competing in election of the Assembly of Experts, said referring to the decision taken by the Guardian Council.
1- Iran, Spain eye nuclear cooperation
Iran and Spain are expected to sign a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on nuclear cooperation within the coming months, Behrouz Kamalvandi, spokesperson of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) said.
2- Iran Central Bank: Boom in housing market
3- President aide: Religious biases infest humanity
1- Economy-oriented diplomacy
A report about the Rouhani administration’s diplomatic endeavors that are aimed at promoting the country’s economy. Iranian President Hassan Rouhani is in a European tour and has paid a visit to Italy and Vatican.
2- Assembly of Experts candidates announced
3- 6th development plan: A beginning for development
1- Culture Minister: No support for artists who interview satellite channels
2- Risk of medicine shortage in hospitals
1- Memory of Italy everlasting for Rouhani
2- Leader urges officials to make everyone say their prayers
1- Iran, Italy ink $18b deal
Tehran and Rome have signed 14 documents in the areas of transportation, education, trade, agriculture and medicine.
2- Rouhani, Pope join calls for peace, friendship in violent-stricken world
3-166 hopefuls qualified for Assembly of Experts membership
4- Iran’s navy to stage massive drill in Indian Ocean
1- Iran, Italy sign $17b deal
2- Outstanding hopefuls disqualified for February elections
3- 40 thousands Maskan Mehrs housing units ready
– A quarter of agricultural products wasted
1. Iran, Italy sign up to $18.4bn contracts
2. Erdogan panicked by possibility of formation of “parallel government structure” in Turkey
1. 13% rise in number of qualified candidates for Assembly of Experts
The Guardian Council, the body responsible for vetting candidate’s credential, handpicked 166 candidates and dismissed 207.
2. Rouhani to Pope: Pray for me
3. Leader to nationwide Prayer Conference: I expect all organs to realize the greatness of prayer
1. Rouhani at Iran, Italy trade session: Development, employment main way to combat terrorism
2. Attracting $70b of investments in Petchem sector possible
– Judiciary Chief: Westerners’ fear for religious democracy greater than that for our missiles
1. Movement in housing market
A 19% growth has been registered in the number of traded housed in Tehran.
2. €299m deal signed for Mashad-Golbahar railroad with Chinese partners
1. Pope calls for Iran efforts to solve regional issues
2. Lavrov: West’s anti-Iran policy, futile, a mistake
3. US, Saudi division of support for Takfiris
The daily has quoted al Akhbar, saying that Saudi Arabia procures finances and the US executes regional wars.
– Doctor honored as father of Iran liver transplant
A former nomad teacher, Dr. Ali Malek Hosseini has been revered for conducting the first live liver transplant in Iran.
– French police fire tear gas on taxi drivers
1. Historic meeting in capital of Christianity
2. Gov’t Spokesman: Admin optimistic about Guardian Council’s justness
1. Head of Article 90 Committee: Release of fresh details about corruption in football under way
2. Cold water pours on US hands
Lavrov: Assad not to leave nor to flee
3. 1bl rise in Iran petrol imports
1. Zionist ‘spy vulture’ captured in south Lebanon
2. Boeing keen on entering Iran market
3. President, Pope stress peacefulness of divine religions
1. Guardian Council honored people’s rights
The council has released the final results of vetting the credentials of parliamentary and Assembly of Experts hopefuls.
2. Chaos, strike, crisis paralyze France
3. 400k Egyptian police crackdown 300k protestors on 5th revolution anniversary
– Iran, Europe trade to grow six-fold
Italy, France, Germany target €28b trade with Iran
1. US yields
White House’s stance nears closed to that of Iran and Russia regarding the Syrian crisis.
2. Assembly of Experts void of young Khomeini
Hashemi Rafsanjani was qualified to vie for membership in the Assembly of Experts but Hassan Khomeini was disqualified by the vetting body.
3. “I wish peace for Middle East,” Pope Francis
1. Iran restarts saffron exports to US after 15 years
2. Stock market gets bullish
The stock index rose by 2,132 units.
3. Building of major oil export terminal in Oman Sea coasts
4. Japan, South Korea vie for winning Iran refinery projects
5. Iran economy potent to attract $32b as finance; deputy minister
6. Italy to finance for Airbuses for Iran
– Iran Chamber of Guilds’ strong entrance to global trade
Iran’s economic delegation to Italy will return to the country with hands full of achievements
– Iran stock market leaps; economic maneuver in Europe
– I am a humble servant of Iranian people: Young Khomeini
Hassan Khomeini was disqualified by the Guardian Council to vie for membership in the Assembly of Experts.