Iran is set to provide any assistance needed to help stop military operations and begin dialogue among all Yemeni sides, said Zarif in a phone conversation with his Omani counterpart.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and his Omani counterpart, Yusuf bin Alawi bin Abdullah, held phone talks on a whole range of issues, including the latest developments in the war-stricken Yemen.
In the telephone call, the Iranian foreign minister described developments in the region, particularly in Yemen, as “sensitive” and said Iran is ready to provide any assistance needed “to help stop military operations and begin dialogue among all Yemeni sides.”
Both foreign ministers stressed the need to send humanitarian aid supplies, including medicine and food, to the victims of the Saudi-led war on Yemen.
The two further discussed ways to promote mutual cooperation between Iran and Oman in various areas.
On March 26, Saudi Arabia and some of its Arab allies began to militarily interfere in Yemen’s internal affairs by launching deadly air strikes against the Houthi Ansarullah movement in an attempt to restore power to fugitive President Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh.
The attacks have killed near 2,600 Yemeni people so far, according to sources in the Arab country.
On Friday, Iran’s foreign minister, in a letter to United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki Moon, put forward Tehran’s four-point proposal to restore peace to Yemen.
Iran’s peace plan seeks the following objectives: ceasefire and an immediate end to all foreign military attacks; unimpeded urgent humanitarian and medical assistance to the people of Yemen; resumption of Yemeni-lead and Yemeni-owned national dialogue, with the participation of the representatives of all political parties and social groups; and establishment of an inclusive national unity government.