A top Iranian nuclear negotiator has expressed satisfaction with the general atmosphere of the ongoing negotiations between representatives of the Islamic Republic and the United States over Iran’s nuclear program.
Seyyed Abbas Araghchi, who is also Iran’s deputy foreign minister for legal and international affairs, made the remarks after the two sides ended their first day of the new round of talks in Geneva on Monday.
The Iranian negotiating team is headed by Araghchi and Deputy Foreign Minister for European and American Affairs Majid Takht-e Ravanchi, while Acting Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman leads the US team.
The Iranian official said that the two sides had detailed discussions, including on the US-led sanctions against Iran, during the expert-level meeting.
Iran will hold another round of talks with the US negotiating team on Tuesday morning.
Araghchi said Iran would also hold one-on-one talks with the other members of P5+1 later on Tuesday.
Iran and P5+1 – Russia, China, France, Britain, the US and Germany – will begin their new rounds of nuclear talks on Wednesday. The two sides failed to reach a final agreement by a previously-set November 24 deadline. Given the progress that had been made, however, Iran and P5+1 agreed to extend their discussions for seven more months until July 1, 2015. They also agreed for the interim deal they had signed in Geneva in November 2013 to remain in place during the negotiations.