Zarif hits back at US official for ‘military option’ remark

‘Political resolve, goodwill key for comprehensive nuclear deal’

Zarif made the remarks after the US defense secretary said that the agreement between Iran and P5+1 does not prevent Washington from using military force against Iran.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says those who have used the language of force against the Islamic Republic after the successful conclusion of negotiations between the country and the P5+1 are incapable of properly engaging in diplomacy.

“At a time when the world considers last week’s agreement in Vienna the victory of diplomacy over war and violence, unfortunately, there still are people who speak of the illegal and illegitimate use of force to achieve their delusional objectives,” Zarif told IRNA on Monday.

Zarif made the remarks after US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter said on Sunday that the agreement between Iran and P5+1 does not prevent Washington from using military force against the Islamic Republic.

“One of the reasons why this deal is a good one is that it does nothing to prevent the military option,” Carter told reporters on board a flight to Israel.

Zarif, who led Iran’s negotiating team with P5+1, further said, “These individuals do not seem to be able to understand that the use of force to violate others’ rights is not an option, but a dangerous and injudicious temptation,” Zarif said.

The use of force is “often put forth by those who lack the necessary capacity and capability to manage, push forward and consolidate diplomacy,” the Iranian foreign minister said.

[…]

Subscribe

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here