There’s only one Iran nuclear talks statement: EU

Zarif-EU

The valid statement is the one which has been agreed on and delivered on April 2 by the EU foreign chief and the Iranian foreign minister in Switzerland, said Catherine Ray.

The European Union says the only valid statement regarding the nuclear talks with Iran is the one published last Thursday in Switzerland, Press TV reports.

“The general statement, which is valid, is the one which has been agreed on and delivered on the second of April by [EU] High Representative [for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy] Federica Mogherini and Iranian Foreign Minister [Mohammad] Javad Zarif in Switzerland,” said Catherine Ray, Mogherini’s spokesperson, at a media briefing in Brussels.

“The statement was validated by all the parties involved,” Ray said.

She was responding to questions from journalists after the US issued statements that appeared to contradict what had been agreed between Iran and the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany, also known as P5+1.

Iran and P5+1 along with officials from the EU reached a mutual understanding on Tehran’s nuclear program after eight days of marathon talks in Lausanne, Switzerland, on Thursday.

According to the joint statement, which is considered the basis for a final nuclear deal, the two sides have devised a mechanism to lift anti-Iran sanctions after the agreement, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), is reached by the end of June.

The joint statement read by Zarif in Persian late Thursday stipulated the implementation of the JCPOA shortly after its adoption as a United Nations Security Council resolution.

It has been clearly stated that all UN Security Council resolutions will be terminated from the day of agreement, Zarif said in his joint statement with Mogherini.

The statement featured a markedly diplomatic tone. However, Washington has since issued statements, which analysts have described as aggressive and unhelpful.

On Saturday, the senior Iranian diplomat stressed that sanctions will be terminated, not suspended, and criticized the US, saying the fact sheet Washington released is different from the joint statement.

“We officially protested to [US Secretary of State] Mr. [John] Kerry for the statement of positions countering the Lausanne statement. The EU representative has also protested to [US Under Secretary for Political Affairs] Ms. [Wendy] Sherman why they have spoken contrary to their positions,” Zarif said.

“In fact, the Americans brought what they desired in the fact sheet.”

Subscribe

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here