Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham blasted the recent remarks by US President Barack Obama who threatened the Islamic Republic with military action.
Afkham’s remarks came after the US president told the Republican-dominated Congress that the military option against Iran will remain on the table for several years despite the nuclear agreement between Iran and world powers in Vienna on July 14.
“Repeated allegations by US officials which are made in line with the Zionist regime’s interests and to satisfy the pro-Israel lobbies show the American officials’ uncertainty and deep confusion when it comes to their own national preferences,” Afkham said on Saturday.
She said warmongers and the so-called advocates of diplomacy in the US both rely on illusionary, dangerous and horrific ideas which have so far inflicted irreparable damage on the world and are today one of the root causes of international insecurity.
“The Zionist regime is the most important source of instability and spread of terrorism in the Middle East and the US government’s support for this regime and the policy of creating and supporting the terrorist groups as well as training and equipping them have placed the US in the dock,” Afkham said.
The Iranian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman reiterated that the threat of military attack on Iran is a violation of the UN Charter and principles and will bring about international liability for the US government and officials.
Afkham said that the Islamic Republic of Iran would never accept any restriction in defending itself in political, military and security fields.
“Should Iran seek to dash toward a nuclear weapon, all of the options available to the United States — including the military option — will remain available through the life of the deal and beyond,” Obama wrote to Congress on August 19, the New York Times reported.