Maash Pati or mung beans stew is one of the local dishes of Golestan province in northern Iran which is served in different seasons, but mostly in winter and spring.
As the food contains mung beans and spinach, it is very beneficial for some diseases. Maash Pati is also rich in plant proteins due to the combination of its raw materials. It is mostly served with rice or Kookoo Sib Zamini (potato patties).
Some locals in Golestan serve the meal cold. Maash Pati is one of the most popular local dishes in the northern Iranian cities of Gorgan, Karimabad, Behshahr, Sari, Tonekabon, Qaemshahr and, especially, the village of Ziarat.
The directions to cook the stew has recently been inscribed on the list of Iran’s Intangible Cultural Heritage.
Mung beans: 2 cups
Black-eyed peas: ½ cup
Chopped pumpkins: 150g
Garlic: 4 pieces
Beetroots: 3 small ones
Pomegranate paste: 1 tbls
Flour: 1 tbls
Salt, pepper, turmeric: As much as needed
- Soak the mung beans overnight and change its water for several times. Wash the spinach thoroughly and chop it. Wash the mung beans and cook them in a saucepan. Separately, Cook the black-eyed peas as well. Sauté garlics in a pan.
- After the mung beans are cooked well and its water is evaporated, pour in some cold water to let the skins of beans removed and stand on top of the water. Just scoop them off.
- Add the chopped spinach and let it boil for some minutes. Then, mix the flour in cold water and add it to the stuff. Add the peas to the ingredients. At this stage, salt, pepper, turmeric, and the garlics you have already sautéd must be added to the stew. Place the stew on medium heat and let it cook well.
- Shortly after, depending on the season add some cubed pieces of beetroots or pumpkins.
- At the end, it is time to pour in the pomegranate paste. Wait for some more minutes to get a good-flavoured stew. Now it’s time to serve the dish.
- You can use fresh bitter orange juice instead of pomegranate paste.
- Pour in a spoonful of sugar when adding flour if you like a sweet-sour taste.
- If both beetroots and pumpkins are available, you can use both in your stew.