Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and his Swedish counterpart Margot Wallström had a phone conversation on Friday.
During the talks, the two sides exchanged views on a fresh round of Yemen peace talks, which is to be held in Stockholm, and Iran’s efforts to ensure its success.
Earlier this week, the administration of Saudi-backed former Yemeni president Abd Rabbuh Mansur announced that it would take part in the proposed peace talks in Sweden next month.
The announcement came hours after the chairman of the Supreme Revolutionary Committee of Yemen, Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, said Ansarullah fighters were halting their retaliatory attacks as a goodwill measure to speed up “peace” process.
United Nations Envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths says that he has received “firm assurances” that the warring Yemeni parties would attend talks in Stockholm.
Saudi Arabia and a number of its regional allies launched a devastating military campaign against Yemen in March 2015, with the aim of bringing the government of Hadi back to power and crushing the country’s Houthi Ansarullah movement.
The Saudi-led war has also taken a heavy toll on the country’s infrastructure, destroying hospitals, schools, and factories. The UN has already said that a record 22.2 million Yemenis are in dire need of food, including 8.4 million threatened by severe hunger. According to the world body, Yemen is suffering from the most severe famine in more than 100 years.