Iran and the six world nations – known as the P5+1 – are determined to start drafting a comprehensive deal in Vienna talks, Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi was quoted as saying on Sunday by Hossein Naqavi Hosseini, rapporteur of Majlis National Security and Foreign Policy Commission.
Araqchi, also a senior member of Iranˈs nuclear negotiating team with the West, attended a commission session on Sunday to brief the lawmakers on the latest developments in nuclear talks between Iran and the P5+1 as well as Iranˈs recent bilateral consultations with delegations from the US, France and Russia.
Iran and the five permanent members of the UN security council – the United States, Britain, France, Russia and China – plus Germany will start a new round of talks in Vienna on Monday June 16 to try to start drafting a comprehensive deal on ending a decade-old dispute over Tehranˈs nuclear program, what they failed to do in negotiations last month.
According to Naqavi Hosseini, Araqchi said that during talks with the US delegation led by Undersecretary of State William Burns in Geneva earlier this week, the US side said America is determined to reach a comprehensive deal with Iran by a July 20 deadline set in an interim deal struck between Iran and the six nations last November.
Prior to talks with the US delegation, Iran was doubtful about resolve on the US side to reach a deal by the end of the six-month period, Araqchi said.
The senior Iranian negotiator said that the American officials believe the situation after July 20 will not benefit the course of talks.