The governor of Isfahan says a recent spate of acid attacks in the province had nothing to do with lack of compliance with the Islamic dress code.
Iranian security forces have apprehended 10 suspects in connection with a recent spate of acid attacks against women in the central city of Esfahan.
“So far, ten suspects have been identified in connection with acid attack in the province and are being interrogated by the police,” Isfahan Provincial Governor Rasoul Zargarpour was quoted as saying by IRNA on Monday.
The official noted that an operational committee has been set up at the police department in addition to a special headquarters at Isfahan Justice Department to identify the perpetrators and deal with legal aspects of the issue.
Zargarpour said four cases of acid attacks were reported in Isfahan from September 6 to October 15, noting that the incidents had nothing to do with women wearing improper hijab.
Reports of the acid attacks against women in Isfahan have triggered grave concerns among the public and led to widespread speculations in the press and social media.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani instructed three ministries on Thursday to step up efforts to find those behind the attacks.
Rouhani tasked the ministries of the interior, intelligence, and justice with investigating the sensitive case.
On October 20, Iranian Judiciary Spokesman Gholamhossein Mohseni Ejei pledged serious and prompt action against the attacks.