An Iranian top commander has warned that the Islamic Republic will increase the range of its missiles to more than 2,000 km if it finds Europe has turned into a threat to the country.
“We have kept the range of our missiles on 2,000 kilometres not because of lack of technology. We are just following a strategic doctrine,” IRGC Lieutenant Commander Brigadier General Hossein Salami said in a televised interview on Saturday night.
According to a Farsi report by the Fars News Agency, the Iranian general said so far Iran has not felt Europe as a threat but “if we come to this conclusion that Europe is going to turn into a threat, we will have no hesitation to increase the range of our missiles.”
Earlier, France called for an uncompromising dialogue with Iran about its missile program and a possible negotiation over the issue separate from Tehran’s 2015 nuclear deal with world powers.
Iran has emphasized time and again that its missile program is defensive and not negotiable.
Elsewhere in the interview, Salami also dismissed as ‘completely baseless’ the US accusations that Iran is providing Yemen with missiles.
“Yemen is under an all-out siege. If we can send a missile to Yemen, it shows their incapability. But we have not given them any missiles,” he said.
He went on to say Yemenis have managed to increase the range and precision of their missiles in a scientific breakthrough.
“If we decide to provide Yemen with military supply, no one can hamper our plan. As we have openly said the Islamic Republic of Iran supports the Palestinian and Lebanese groups as well as Iraq and Syria but our support for the Yemen is only spiritual and political,” he noted.