Iran’s Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi has expressed dissatisfaction over the slow progress of efforts to keep the 2015 nuclear deal in place, expressing hope the other parties to the nuclear accord will work harder to compensate for the US withdrawal.
Speaking in a weekly press conference on Monday, Qassemi said the support package offered by the EU to compensate for the US pull-out is generally positive but there are ambiguities that need to be removed.
Following the US withdrawal from the nuclear deal early May, Iran announced its continued commitment to the deal is conditional on EU’s binding guarantees assuring Tehran its interests will be served if it remains in the deal, Tasnim News Agency reported.
The package, drafted by France, the UK and Germany, obliges the European Investment Bank to support EU firms willing to enter Iranian markets, among other measures.
The spokesman said talks on the support package are progressing, but the traditional August holidays in Europe and complexities of the talks have slowed down the process.
“We are not completely satisfied with the process and insist that these countries continue their efforts more seriously and quickly,” he said.
The spokesman said Iran is optimistic the support package will soon be finalized.
“We will work to push Europe to take better moves. I hope that with the end of holidays, we will continue our work and take longer steps,” he said.
Iran has announced the package is acceptable at the macro level, signaling its willingness to keep up fulfilling its JCPOA obligations.
‘Iran Action Group’ Reminiscent of 1953 Coup
The spokesman said the US formation of an ‘Iran Action Group’, which took place on the eve of the anniversary of the US-backed 1953 coup in Iran, reminds people of the long history of the US’ hostile policies and its interventions in Iran.
Qassemi was referring to a US-UK orchestrated putsch against the democratically-elected government of Prime Minister Mohammad Mosaddeq, which restored to power the despotic former Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.
Iran Action Group was created last week in the US State Department, with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo naming senior policy adviser Brian Hook as the head of the group.
The group is tasked with coordinating the US pressure campaign against Iran after Washington’s withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear deal early May.
The US re-imposed the first series of its anti-Iran sanctions earlier this month, and is working to push the world to cut trade with Iran and stop purchasing the country’s oil before November, when further sanctions on oil and transactions with the central bank of Iran will be restored.
Qassemi said the Iran Action Group has both economic and psychological warfare applications.
“The US, engaging in a big psychological operation, tries to … impose restrictions on Iran’s economic cooperation,” he said.
However, Qassemi said Iran is determined to show resistance against the US pressure and such efforts will lead the US to nowhere.
“The US is in no position to do whatever it wants. This is no time for dictating others. Although sanctions will have impact [on Iran], we can pass this stage,” he said.