Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Seyyed Abbas Araqchi has strongly protested the US administration over an American spy drone’s incursion into the Iranian airspace in an emergency phone call with the Swiss envoy in Tehran.
In the Thursday night conversation, Araqchi told Markus Leitner – whose country represents the US interests in the Islamic Republic – that there was “indisputable” evidence that the drone had violated Iran’s airspace.
“Even some parts of the drone’s wreckage have been retrieved from Iran’s territorial waters,” Araqchi told the Swiss envoy.
This was not the first time the Americans were committing such an act, and that had happened a number of times before, Araqchi said, urging American forces to respect Iran’s aerial and maritime borders and fully abide by international regulations.
The Iranian diplomat reiterated that Iran does not seek a war and conflict in the Persian Gulf, warning the American forces against any unconsidered measure in the region.
“The Islamic Republic of Iran would not hesitate for a moment to decisively defend its territory against any aggression,” he added.
Leitner, in turn, said he would immediately convey Iran’s message to the US government.
The Swiss envoy was also asked to visit the Iranian Foreign Ministry on Friday morning to receive more details about the incident.
The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) announced earlier in the day that its mobile air defence system has shot down a US RQ-4 Global Hawk drone flying over the coastal province of Hormozgan in southern Iran.
Washington first denied the report but later on admitted that a US Navy MQ-4C Triton (a slightly modified RQ-4) had been shot down albeit in “international waters” near the Strait of Hormuz.
The drone was shot down using the Iranian air defence system “3 Khordad”, which can hit targets at altitudes as high as 88,000 feet.