The Imam’s grandson finally appeared on state TV and voiced his views in a Q&A program, something similar to a hard talk show.
A couple of days before the 27th anniversary of Imam Khomeini’s death, and a few days after Hassan Khomeini’s controversial absence from the opening session of the 5th Assembly of Experts, IRIB’s moveto invite him for a live interview seems to indicate that changes have already begun since the appointment of a new chief of the huge broadcasting organization.
Below is IFP’s translation of some of his most important comments, as reported by Entekhab.
- You [IRIB] finally decided to change your ways and invite me onto [state] TV after many years. [Khomeini told the host]
- As [President Hassan] Rouhani says, I suddenly attacked you, and you backed off! [he told the host]
- Some say I’ve been born in [Iraqi holy city of] Najaf; but I was born in [Iranian holy city of] Qom, and sometimes my accent shows this.
- Religion is not just wearing Hijab, saying prayers, and fasting. If you’re religious, you should respect people’s rights. Religion is the lack of poverty in the society; religion means all members of the society should be free to talk.
- If we ban someone from talking [in interviews] or from being shown in the media, we are actually making ourselves look foolish!
- Some people who didn’t play any role in the  Revolution showed up at the table just when the food was being served! Of course, the table of the Revolution belongs to everyone, but they should not occupy all the rooms.
- We cannot increase the prevalence of any idea in the country if the people don’t want it.
- The Leader of the Islamic Revolution [Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei] is the deserving successor of Imam, and God Willing, he’ll continue to be our Leader.
- I hope we will have a better and more open IRIB.