In a statement on Saturday, Yemen’s Army Spokesman Brigadier General Yahya Saree said the Yemeni Qasef-K2 pilotless aircraft have launched attacks on fighter jet hangars of Jizan airport.
Some other parts of the military airbase have been also attacked in the “precise” airstrike, he added, saying Yemen’s aerial operation has halted traffic at the Saudi airport.
The general said the drone attack was a response to the Saudi military campaign against people of Yemen.
Earlier in the week, the Yemeni forces said they launched two attacks targeting military sites at the Jizan airport and high-altitude Abha Airport.
The Houthi Ansarulla movement, which is defending Yemen in the war against the Saudi-led military coalition, has warned of “more painful operations” to come if the Saudi-led forces did not stop airstrikes on Yemeni people.
The Saudi-led coalition has been engaged in a war against Yemen since March 2015, when it began carrying out airstrikes on Yemen at the request of fugitive president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi.
The US-based Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED), a nonprofit conflict-research organization, estimates that the Saudi-led war has claimed the lives of over 60,000 Yemenis since January 2016.
The war has also taken a heavy toll on the country’s infrastructure, destroying hospitals, schools, and factories. The UN says over 24 million Yemenis are in dire need of humanitarian aid, including 10 million suffering from extreme levels of hunger.