Media Wire

Holding elections in Syria could take up to four years: De facto leader

Syria’s de facto leader, Ahmed al-Sharaa, has stated holding elections in the country could take as long as four years.

It is the first time the new Syrian leader has commented on a possible electoral timetable since opposition fighters, led by al-Sharaa’s Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS), ousted longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad three weeks ago.

Drafting a new constitution could take up to three years, al-Sharaa told Saudi Arabia’s state-owned broadcaster Al Arabiya on Sunday.

He said elections would likely be held after four years because a new census is to be conducted to specify the numbers of eligible voters in the country.

“Any meaningful elections will require conducting a comprehensive population census,” he added.

Al-Sharaa said Syrians would likely witness significant changes in their country in about a year. He added HTS – the most dominant military and political power in Syria – would be dissolved at a national dialogue conference.

The comments from al-Sharaa came as the new government in Damascus seeks to reassure its neighbours of peace and stability in the multiethnic country.

“Syria will not be a source of disturbance to anyone,” he told Al Arabiya.

Al-Sharaa stated Syria shared strategic interests with Russia, a close ally and military supporter of al-Assad during the 13-year Syrian war, reiterating conciliatory signals his government has made previously. This month, he said Syria’s relations with Russia should serve common interests.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov noted the status of Russia’s military bases in Syria would be the subject of negotiations with the new leadership in Damascus.

“It is a question not only of maintaining our bases or strongholds but also of the conditions of their operation, maintenance and provision and interaction with the local side,” he said in an interview with the Russian news agency RIA released on Sunday.

Al-Sharaa also added he hoped the administration of United States President-elect Donald Trump would lift sanctions imposed on Syria.

Senior US diplomats who visited Damascus this month announced al-Sharaa came across as pragmatic and Washington had decided to remove a $10m bounty on the HTS leader’s head.

IFP Media Wire

Reports and views published in the Media Wire section have been retrieved from other news agencies and websites, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Iran Front Page (IFP) news website. The IFP may change the headlines of the reports in a bid to make them compatible with its own style of covering Iran News, and does not make any changes to the content. The source and URL of all reports and news stories are mentioned at the bottom of each article.

Recent Posts

Iran Urges Shanghai Cooperation Organization to Condemn Trump’s Threats

Majid Takht-Ravanchi, the Political Deputy of the Islamic Republic of Iran’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs,…

5 hours ago

Iran’s Nowruz holiday sees 796 road deaths, 17% fuel consumption spike

Iranian authorities reported 796 fatalities and over 18,000 injuries during Nowruz holiday road accidents, while…

5 hours ago

IRGC: American, Zionist Plots Cannot Stop the Israel Demise

The Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) of Iran emphasized that the Zionist and American seditions…

5 hours ago

Russia warns against military action on Iran’s nuclear program

Russia's Foreign Ministry issued a formal statement on Wednesday opposing any military solution to concerns…

6 hours ago

Kuwaiti Emir assures Iran: No aggression from our soil

Iranian President Massoud Pezeshkian engaged in a phone conversation on Wednesday with Kuwaiti Emir Mishal…

7 hours ago

Former Iranian diplomat urges strategic dialogue with Europe amid rising sanctions

Jalal Sadatian, Iran's former ambassador to the UK, has called on Iranian officials for immediate…

7 hours ago