Media Wire

Israel approves plan to increase settler population in Golan Heights

Israel’s government has approved a plan to surge the number of settlers in the occupied Golan Heights. It comes days after Tel Aviv seized more Syrian territory following the toppling of Syria’s longtime leader Bashar al-Assad.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said the government had “unanimously approved” the “demographic development” of the occupied territory, which would seek to double the Israeli population there.

The new plan is only for the portion of the Golan Heights that Israel has occupied since 1967. In 1981, Israel’s Knesset moved to impose Israeli law over the territory, in an effective annexation.

The plan does not relate to the portion of Syrian land seized by Israel in the wake of al-Assad’s toppling a week ago. The seized area, which had been demilitarised as part of an agreement reached after the 1973 war, also includes Mount Hermon overlooking the Syrian capital Damascus.

In a statement, Netanyahu praised the plan, which provides more than 40 million shekels ($11m) to increase the settler population.

There are about 31,000 Israeli settlers spread across dozens of illegal settlements in the Golan Heights already. They live alongside minority groups, including the Druze, who predominantly identify as Syrian.

“Strengthening the Golan is strengthening the State of Israel, and it is especially important at this time,” Netanyahu stated.

“We will continue to hold onto it, cause it to blossom, and settle in it.”

While Israeli occupation of the Golan Heights is illegal under international law, during his first term in office, from 2017 to 2021, US President-elect Donald Trump made the United States the first country in the world to officially recognise Israeli sovereignty over the area.

Trump is set to retake office again on January 20 after winning the US presidential election in November.

Meanwhile, Netanyahu’s office said he had discussed the situation in Syria during a phone call with Trump on Saturday. He also discussed efforts to reach a ceasefire agreement in Gaza.

Despite Israel launching hundreds of strikes on Syrian sites since opposition groups led by Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) overthrew al-Assad and moved to create a transitional government, Netanyahu said: “We have no interest in conflict with Syria.”

He added the attacks were to “thwart the potential threats from Syria and to prevent the takeover of terrorist elements near our border”.

IFP Media Wire

Reports and views published in the Media Wire section have been retrieved from other news agencies and websites, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Iran Front Page (IFP) news website. The IFP may change the headlines of the reports in a bid to make them compatible with its own style of covering Iran News, and does not make any changes to the content. The source and URL of all reports and news stories are mentioned at the bottom of each article.

Recent Posts

FM: Turkey wants no conflict with Israel in Syria

Turkey's foreign minister has stated that Ankara has no desire to enter into conflict with…

2 hours ago

Iranian newspapers clash over talks with US: “Suicidal Surrender” vs. “A Step Forward”

Iran’s political divide over negotiations with the US has spilled into its media, with leading…

2 hours ago

Iranian president dismisses deputy over controversial Antarctic vacation

Iranian President Massoud Pezeshkian has removed Parliamentary Affairs Deputy Shahram Dabiri from office following public…

3 hours ago

US says ‘testing’ if Russia is serious about peace in Ukraine

Washington will know within weeks whether Moscow is serious about pursuing peace with Ukraine, the…

4 hours ago

UN says Israel turned two-thirds of Gaza into no-go zones

Israel has now restricted Palestinians’ access to roughly two-thirds of the Gaza Strip, either by…

10 hours ago

Police: 838 die in road accidents in Iran during Nowruz holidays

At least 838 people have been killed in road accidents across Iran from the beginning…

18 hours ago