Media Wire

Iran says received guarantees for release of its frozen assets

Tehran has received the “necessary guarantees” that its assets blocked abroad due to the US sanctions will be unblocked under an agreement mediated by regional friends, Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Nasser Kanaani told reporters on Monday.

Speaking to reporters at a weekly press conference on Monday, Kanaani hailed the government’s successful efforts to secure the release of the financial resources of Iran that had been blocked under the US’ illegal sanctions.

He also highlighted Iran’s serious attention to the rights of its nationals who have been arrested illegally by the US.

Pointing to reports that Iran’s assets frozen in South Korea will be unblocked in exchange for the release of a number of US citizens, the spokesman said, “Iran has received the necessary guarantee of implementation of the contents of this agreement.”

Giving an assurance that the exchange of prisoners with the US will happen within the framework of the understanding and considering the judicial procedures, Kanaani described the process as part of Iran’s use of diplomatic capacities.

“We have made the deal within the framework of a bilateral understanding and the role played by our friends in the region. Two matters were important for us, the liberation of the Iranian citizens who had been held in custody on bogus charges and the unblocking of part of the Iranian nation’s assets that had been blocked under the US’ pressure,” he added.

“We held negotiations with the US government via an intermediary, and a definite period of time has been considered for the issue to take place,” he stated.

On Friday, the foreign ministry confirmed the ongoing process of releasing $6 billion worth of Iran’s funds, which have been unlawfully held in South Korea due to US sanctions.

The ministry emphasized that releasing the funds has consistently been on its agenda, noting that these funds were “illegally blocked” under the pretext of “overseas banks’ concerns about America’s oppressive sanctions.”

IFP Media Wire

Reports and views published in the Media Wire section have been retrieved from other news agencies and websites, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Iran Front Page (IFP) news website. The IFP may change the headlines of the reports in a bid to make them compatible with its own style of covering Iran News, and does not make any changes to the content. The source and URL of all reports and news stories are mentioned at the bottom of each article.

Recent Posts

Police: 838 die in road accidents in Iran during Nowruz holidays

At least 838 people have been killed in road accidents across Iran from the beginning…

10 hours ago

Iranian MP: Iran will negotiating with US on an equal footing

The head of National Security and Foreign Policy Commission of Iran's Parliament says Tehran will…

11 hours ago

Iran spox deplores instrumental use of rights mechanisms by Germany, UK Against Tehran

Spokesman for Iran’s Foreign Ministry, Esmail Baqaei, expressed regret over the continued exploitation of human…

14 hours ago

Rabat Qoli Caravanserai in northeastern Iran: A timeless crossroads of culture, commerce

The Rabat Qoli Caravanserai, a centuries-old waystation in North Khorasan’s Jajrom County in Iran, stands…

16 hours ago

Iran raps UN human rights resolution, warns about Israel’s crimes against humanity

Iran's Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the United Nations in Geneva, Ali Bahraini, denounced the…

16 hours ago

Twin earthquakes rattle southern Iran, no major damage reported

A 4.4-magnitude earthquake struck near Shiraz, southern Iran, early Friday morning, according to the University…

16 hours ago