Media Wire

Ukraine has lost 43k soldiers in action since start of war: Zelensky

Ukraine has lost 43,000 soldiers on the battlefield since the start of Russia's full-scale invasion in Feb. 2022, President Volodymyr Zelensky revealed in a rare statement on Ukrainian losses posted on X.

This figure contrasts a claim by U.S. President-elect Donald Trump, who wrote on his Truth Social platform that Ukrainian military losses had reached “400,000 soldiers, and many more civilians”.

In his post, Zelensky wrote that “Ukraine has lost 43,000 soldiers killed in action on the battlefield”, adding that there have been “370,000 cases of medical assistance for the wounded”, which includes light or repeat injuries.

It is unclear if Trump was referring to total casualties — soldiers killed and injured — in his Truth Social post.

Zelensky also noted that approximately half of the soldiers wounded in action later return to the battlefield.

“This is a testament to the resilience of our Armed Forces and the effectiveness of our medical teams,” Zelensky said.

“Since September this year, Russia has been losing troops on the battlefield at a ratio of 5-to-1, or even 6-to-1, compared to us,” he added.

As of August, Russia’s war has killed 11,743 civilians and injured 24,614, according to the UN, but the actual figures are likely much higher. A lack of access to Russian-occupied and front-line areas makes it nearly impossible to gather accurate casualty numbers.

The updated battlefield casualty figure provided by Zelensky reflects a rise from his February estimate of 31,000 total deaths.

Up until that moment, Ukraine had kept the number of troops killed a secret. Zelensky did not clarify at that time what the government’s definition of a troop casualty was.

In recent months, Zelensky and other officials have actively addressed and refuted various claims regarding Ukrainian military losses.

In an interview with Kyodo News, Zelensky rejected Western media reports suggesting that as many as 80,000 Ukrainian soldiers had been killed in the ongoing war with Russia.

IFP Media Wire

Reports and views published in the Media Wire section have been retrieved from other news agencies and websites, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Iran Front Page (IFP) news website. The IFP may change the headlines of the reports in a bid to make them compatible with its own style of covering Iran News, and does not make any changes to the content. The source and URL of all reports and news stories are mentioned at the bottom of each article.

Recent Posts

Russia warns against military action on Iran’s nuclear program

Russia's Foreign Ministry issued a formal statement on Wednesday opposing any military solution to concerns…

46 minutes ago

Kuwaiti Emir assures Iran: No aggression from our soil

Iranian President Massoud Pezeshkian engaged in a phone conversation on Wednesday with Kuwaiti Emir Mishal…

1 hour ago

Former Iranian diplomat urges strategic dialogue with Europe amid rising sanctions

Jalal Sadatian, Iran's former ambassador to the UK, has called on Iranian officials for immediate…

1 hour ago

Bahraini king appreciates Pezeshkian’s positive remarks on bilateral ties

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has told Bahrain’s King Hamad bin Issa Ale Khalifeh that Tehran…

19 hours ago

Iran Police: 747 Killed in Nowruz Holiday Road Accidents, Highways Overflow with Vehicles

The head of Iran's Traffic Police announced that 747 people died in road accidents during…

23 hours ago

Iran says UN Security Council Inaction Emboldens Israel’s Violations

The Foreign Ministry of the Islamic Republic of Iran emphasized that the continued inaction of…

23 hours ago