Media Wire

Germany rules out sending forces to Ukraine

The deployment of German troops to Ukraine is 'out of the question,' and it would be 'inappropriate' to speculate about the proposition without the initiation of peace talks, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz has stated.

Scholz made the remarks on Wednesday while addressing the German parliament about remarks made earlier this week by the country’s Foreign Minister, Annalena Baerbock.

Speaking on the sidelines of a meeting of NATO’s top diplomats on Tuesday, Baerbock signaled that Berlin was open to the idea of sending a peacekeeping force into Ukraine.

“The German side will support everything that serves peace in the future,” she said, adding that the country’s soldiers “could be deployed only under the condition of a real ceasefire”.

The remarks prompted widespread speculation on how exactly such a deployment could flesh out, yet Scholz cautioned against drawing any conclusions from Baerbock’s statement, insisting she had worded it in extremely vague terms on purpose.

“She was asked what could happen in a peace phase, and actually she tried to answer this without saying yes or no. Because it’s quite inappropriate to speculate now about what would happen later in the event of a negotiated cease-fire,” Scholz told the parliament.

The chancellor ruled out any possibility of sending troops to Ukraine before a lasting ceasefire between Moscow and Kiev was established.

“We are in agreement with the minister of defense and the foreign minister that we must do everything to ensure that this war does not become a war between Russia and NATO. And that is why sending ground troops is out of the question for me in this war situation,” he explained.

The mixed messages from German leadership come amid a string of media reports that suggested France and the UK have been considering deploying their troops to the front line in Ukraine as a peacekeeping force to observe a ceasefire in the event of Russia and Ukraine actually engaging in negotiations.

An unnamed high-ranking NATO official, who spoke to state-funded news outlet Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, suggested the true goal of the potential deployment was ensuring that European NATO members still have a say in the conflict’s resolution after US President-elect Donald Trump takes office in January.

Meanwhile, Russia’s Foreign Intelligence Service has reported that Western nations are considering sending as many as 100,000 “so-called peacekeepers” to Ukraine. That sizable force would effectively amount to an occupation and would only serve the purpose of buying time for Kiev to rebuild its military strength before renewing hostilities with Moscow, it warned.

IFP Media Wire

Reports and views published in the Media Wire section have been retrieved from other news agencies and websites, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Iran Front Page (IFP) news website. The IFP may change the headlines of the reports in a bid to make them compatible with its own style of covering Iran News, and does not make any changes to the content. The source and URL of all reports and news stories are mentioned at the bottom of each article.

Recent Posts

Police: 838 die in road accidents in Iran during Nowruz holidays

At least 838 people have been killed in road accidents across Iran from the beginning…

7 hours ago

Iranian MP: Iran will negotiating with US on an equal footing

The head of National Security and Foreign Policy Commission of Iran's Parliament says Tehran will…

7 hours ago

Iran spox deplores instrumental use of rights mechanisms by Germany, UK Against Tehran

Spokesman for Iran’s Foreign Ministry, Esmail Baqaei, expressed regret over the continued exploitation of human…

11 hours ago

Rabat Qoli Caravanserai in northeastern Iran: A timeless crossroads of culture, commerce

The Rabat Qoli Caravanserai, a centuries-old waystation in North Khorasan’s Jajrom County in Iran, stands…

13 hours ago

Iran raps UN human rights resolution, warns about Israel’s crimes against humanity

Iran's Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the United Nations in Geneva, Ali Bahraini, denounced the…

13 hours ago

Twin earthquakes rattle southern Iran, no major damage reported

A 4.4-magnitude earthquake struck near Shiraz, southern Iran, early Friday morning, according to the University…

13 hours ago