Asia

Pentagon: Dozens of US family members in Afghanistan

The Pentagon has confirmed “dozens” of family members of American troops remain in Afghanistan nearly three months after Washington ended its military mission in the war-torn country.

The Pentagon said Wednesday that “dozens” of family members of American troops remain in Afghanistan nearly three months after President Joe Biden’s administration withdrew forces from the country.

Asked during a news conference about the “number of immediate family members of US service members in Afghanistan”, Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby told reporters he did not “have a whole number on that”.

“We believe it’s certainly most likely in the dozens, but one of the reasons we put the memo out last week was to encourage service members to come forward,” Kirby stated.

He was referring to a defense memo sent out last week that called on service members and civilians to provide information about immediate family members who remain in Afghanistan.

“We’re working this as hard as we can,” Kirby continued, adding that the Pentagon takes “the obligation seriously to our people and to their families”.

“That’s why we put the advisory out to the services last week, to give them a place, a portal where they can go to put information on there that we can then share with our State Department colleagues to get them out,” he added.

Kirby said that “we’re going to stay at this”.

Earlier this week, Kirby announced the memo was sent out to the services to let members know that “immediate family members that are in Afghanistan are eligible for facilitated departure”.

Kirby also reaffirmed Wednesday that the mission to get Americans out of Afghanistan “is not over”, and that defense officials are “going to continue to work inside the interagency to do that”.

Asked whether there was concern for the well-being of family members of troops who remain in Afghanistan, Kirby noted, “Of course there is.”

IFP Media Wire

Reports and views published in the Media Wire section have been retrieved from other news agencies and websites, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Iran Front Page (IFP) news website. The IFP may change the headlines of the reports in a bid to make them compatible with its own style of covering Iran News, and does not make any changes to the content. The source and URL of all reports and news stories are mentioned at the bottom of each article.

Recent Posts

Iran Urges Shanghai Cooperation Organization to Condemn Trump’s Threats

Majid Takht-Ravanchi, the Political Deputy of the Islamic Republic of Iran’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs,…

7 hours ago

Iran’s Nowruz holiday sees 796 road deaths, 17% fuel consumption spike

Iranian authorities reported 796 fatalities and over 18,000 injuries during Nowruz holiday road accidents, while…

8 hours ago

IRGC: American, Zionist Plots Cannot Stop the Israel Demise

The Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) of Iran emphasized that the Zionist and American seditions…

8 hours ago

Russia warns against military action on Iran’s nuclear program

Russia's Foreign Ministry issued a formal statement on Wednesday opposing any military solution to concerns…

9 hours ago

Kuwaiti Emir assures Iran: No aggression from our soil

Iranian President Massoud Pezeshkian engaged in a phone conversation on Wednesday with Kuwaiti Emir Mishal…

9 hours ago

Former Iranian diplomat urges strategic dialogue with Europe amid rising sanctions

Jalal Sadatian, Iran's former ambassador to the UK, has called on Iranian officials for immediate…

9 hours ago