Media Wire

Nearly 90 killed in Israeli attacks on Gaza

Israel has unleashed a series of air attacks on the Gaza Strip that killed nearly 90 people, including several children in their sleep.

At least 66 people were killed in an attack early on Thursday that hit a residential neighbourhood in Beit Lahiya, in Gaza’s besieged north, Palestinian health officials announced.

Hussam Abu Safia, the director of the nearby Kamal Adwan Hospital, told Al Jazeera most of the victims “were asleep when they were killed”.

“A very large number of casualties has arrived, and there are still many bodies hanging on the walls, ceilings. It’s mostly children and women,” he said in a voice message.

Abu Safia added hospital staff rushed to the site, retrieving bodies, collecting remains and rescuing trapped people.

“We are already operating with the bare minimum resources, that is why most of our staff are now busy rescuing the injured … due to the lack of ambulances and resources,” the paediatrician continued.

“The situation is honestly very dire. We cannot cope with this massive number of injured and casualties that have arrived to Kamal Adwan Hospital.”

Separately on Thursday, at least 22 people, including 10 children, were killed in Israeli bombardment of Gaza City’s Sheikh Radwan neighbourhood, a civil defence spokesman confirmed.

More than 13 months of Israeli attacks on Gaza have killed some 44,000 people, including more than 17,000 children, and wounded 104,000. With aid largely cut off, many in the densely populated territory are now facing the threat of starvation.

Israel launched its ferocious military campaign after an estimated 1,200 people were killed in an attack led by the Palestinian armed group Hamas on October 7 last year, with some 250 people taken captive. About 100 of them were released after a truce and prisoner swap deal a year ago but negotiations have largely stalled since then.

Thursday’s overnight attacks took place hours after a Security Council resolution calling for a ceasefire in Gaza and the release of the captives failed to pass when permanent member, the US, cast a lone No vote in the 15-member body.

This was the fourth time that US President Joe Biden’s administration has vetoed such a resolution since the start of the war.

As the latest international endeavour to bring an end to the fighting failed, civilians in Gaza continue to bear the brunt, especially in the northern governorate which has been under an Israeli siege for more than six weeks.

In addition to the ongoing shelling, residents across Gaza are struggling to cope with a worsening humanitarian crisis as winter approaches.

Most Palestinians, who have been forced to flee wave after wave of Israeli attacks, live in tents and makeshift shelters that are inadequate for cold wind and rain. The Norwegian Refugee Council has warned that more than one million Palestinians in Gaza do not have sufficient shelter for the coming months.

Food provision is another issue.

Certain pockets across the 2.2 million-strong territory are on the cusp of famine and a growing number of civilians are suffering from acute lack of food.

The entry of aid trucks has been severely hampered by Israeli authorities and, lately, by criminal gangs operating in areas under Israeli control, according to reports.

IFP Media Wire

Reports and views published in the Media Wire section have been retrieved from other news agencies and websites, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Iran Front Page (IFP) news website. The IFP may change the headlines of the reports in a bid to make them compatible with its own style of covering Iran News, and does not make any changes to the content. The source and URL of all reports and news stories are mentioned at the bottom of each article.

Recent Posts

Police: 838 die in road accidents in Iran during Nowruz holidays

At least 838 people have been killed in road accidents across Iran from the beginning…

10 hours ago

Iranian MP: Iran will negotiating with US on an equal footing

The head of National Security and Foreign Policy Commission of Iran's Parliament says Tehran will…

11 hours ago

Iran spox deplores instrumental use of rights mechanisms by Germany, UK Against Tehran

Spokesman for Iran’s Foreign Ministry, Esmail Baqaei, expressed regret over the continued exploitation of human…

14 hours ago

Rabat Qoli Caravanserai in northeastern Iran: A timeless crossroads of culture, commerce

The Rabat Qoli Caravanserai, a centuries-old waystation in North Khorasan’s Jajrom County in Iran, stands…

16 hours ago

Iran raps UN human rights resolution, warns about Israel’s crimes against humanity

Iran's Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the United Nations in Geneva, Ali Bahraini, denounced the…

16 hours ago

Twin earthquakes rattle southern Iran, no major damage reported

A 4.4-magnitude earthquake struck near Shiraz, southern Iran, early Friday morning, according to the University…

16 hours ago