Media Wire

Diplomats say NATO should prepare for US to leave amid Ukraine war

NATO could face a serious risk of the US leaving the alliance if Donald Trump is re-elected as the US president in November, the Telegraph has reported, citing several diplomats from the bloc’s member states. Europe’s NATO countries should develop some strategy to deal with the consequences of such an eventuality and reconsider the bloc’s defense capabilities, they warned.

The possibility of America’s withdrawal is a “concern,” one European diplomat told the paper, adding, “Nobody knows what he’s going to do next.”

The former president secured his leadership in the Republican primaries earlier this week as he swept 14 out of 15 states at stake on Super Tuesday and got 995 Republican convention delegates’ votes. His only opponent, Nikki Haley, dropped out of the race for the GOP nomination soon thereafter.

He is now expected to face off against President Joe Biden in November since the incumbent American leader also came out on top in the Democratic primaries.

Earlier, several former senior US officials claimed that a Trump White House could make America withdraw from NATO. Former US Defense Secretary Mark Esper made such a prediction in December 2023. According to him, Trump could start pulling US forces out of NATO countries, potentially causing “the collapse of the alliance”. Reuters also reported on such a possibility at that time.

In mid-February, Trump’s former national security adviser, John Bolton, made a similar statement.

“NATO would be in real jeopardy,” he said, adding that Trump “would try to get out”.

A European diplomat stated that the rest of the bloc should “do the planning” for a scenario in which Trump follows through on such plans or just weakens America’s commitment to NATO.

“Preparations need to be in place,” the paper’s source added.

Another official described NATO as “so overdependent on the US”. A “discussion” on hedging against risks of a US withdrawal was “necessary”, this person added.

A third source quoted by the daily said European nations should check the adequacy of their own “defense planning” amid such risks.

In the UK, similar concerns were previously voiced by Lord Kim Darroch, a former British ambassador to the US and a prime minister’s national security adviser.

“If I were an official in any prime minister’s office around Europe, I would be commissioning the experts in government to start doing some contingency thinking about how a NATO without the United States would look and function – just in case,” he said in a piece he wrote for Prospect last month.

Trump himself has not made any comment lately about leaving the alliance. Instead, he said in February that he would not “protect” those NATO members that fall short of the 2% spending threshold in case of an attack, including by Russia.

Speaking at a campaign rally in South Carolina on February 10, he recalled what he described as a conversation with “the president of a big country” in Europe. When allegedly asked whether he would rush to the nation’s aid in case of an attack by Moscow, Trump said that if this nation hadn’t spent enough on defense, he “would encourage [Russia] to do whatever the hell they want” to it.

Moscow itself has repeatedly denied any plans to attack a NATO member, adding that starting a global war would go against “common sense”.

IFP Media Wire

Reports and views published in the Media Wire section have been retrieved from other news agencies and websites, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Iran Front Page (IFP) news website. The IFP may change the headlines of the reports in a bid to make them compatible with its own style of covering Iran News, and does not make any changes to the content. The source and URL of all reports and news stories are mentioned at the bottom of each article.

Recent Posts

Police: 838 die in road accidents in Iran during Nowruz holidays

At least 838 people have been killed in road accidents across Iran from the beginning…

5 hours ago

Iranian MP: Iran will negotiating with US on an equal footing

The head of National Security and Foreign Policy Commission of Iran's Parliament says Tehran will…

6 hours ago

Iran spox deplores instrumental use of rights mechanisms by Germany, UK Against Tehran

Spokesman for Iran’s Foreign Ministry, Esmail Baqaei, expressed regret over the continued exploitation of human…

10 hours ago

Rabat Qoli Caravanserai in northeastern Iran: A timeless crossroads of culture, commerce

The Rabat Qoli Caravanserai, a centuries-old waystation in North Khorasan’s Jajrom County in Iran, stands…

11 hours ago

Iran raps UN human rights resolution, warns about Israel’s crimes against humanity

Iran's Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the United Nations in Geneva, Ali Bahraini, denounced the…

11 hours ago

Twin earthquakes rattle southern Iran, no major damage reported

A 4.4-magnitude earthquake struck near Shiraz, southern Iran, early Friday morning, according to the University…

12 hours ago