Media Wire

Musk dismisses US threat to cut Starlink over Ukraine minerals deal

Billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk has denied reports that the United States threatened to shut off Starlink in Ukraine unless Kyiv agreed to a minerals accord.

Responding to a report by Reuters, Musk called the claim “false” and accused the news agency of lying. He offered no evidence to back up his statement.

His response came after the Kyiv Independent shared the news, which cited anonymous sources alleging that Starlink’s continued operation in Ukraine was being tied to an agreement over mineral resources.

The US has threatened to cut Ukraine’s access to Starlink if Kyiv doesn’t agree to a critical minerals deal, Reuters reported on Feb. 21, citing sources. Negotiations are ongoing after President Volodymyr Zelensky refused an initial proposal, though US President Donald Trump said a deal is near.

Ukraine aims to conclude an agreement with the US for its natural resources on Feb. 24, Ruslan Stefanchuk, speaker of Ukraine’s parliament, told Japanese media outlet NHK.

SpaceX began providing Starlink terminals to Ukraine shortly after the full-scale invasion, giving Kyiv a crucial communications advantage on the battlefield. Since then, however, Musk has grown increasingly vocal in criticizing Ukraine.

Musk, currently the world’s richest man, heads the Trump-established Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE), an organization tasked with eliminating waste from the federal budget.

Musk has called for shutting down the US Agency for International Development (USAID), an organization that provides vital humanitarian aid to Ukraine. He has also amplified Russian disinformation and mocked Zelensky for calling Ukraine an independent country. Musk’s comments on X are often misleading or outright false.

IFP Media Wire

Reports and views published in the Media Wire section have been retrieved from other news agencies and websites, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Iran Front Page (IFP) news website. The IFP may change the headlines of the reports in a bid to make them compatible with its own style of covering Iran News, and does not make any changes to the content. The source and URL of all reports and news stories are mentioned at the bottom of each article.

Recent Posts

Iran Urges Shanghai Cooperation Organization to Condemn Trump’s Threats

Majid Takht-Ravanchi, the Political Deputy of the Islamic Republic of Iran’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs,…

7 hours ago

Iran’s Nowruz holiday sees 796 road deaths, 17% fuel consumption spike

Iranian authorities reported 796 fatalities and over 18,000 injuries during Nowruz holiday road accidents, while…

7 hours ago

IRGC: American, Zionist Plots Cannot Stop the Israel Demise

The Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) of Iran emphasized that the Zionist and American seditions…

7 hours ago

Russia warns against military action on Iran’s nuclear program

Russia's Foreign Ministry issued a formal statement on Wednesday opposing any military solution to concerns…

8 hours ago

Kuwaiti Emir assures Iran: No aggression from our soil

Iranian President Massoud Pezeshkian engaged in a phone conversation on Wednesday with Kuwaiti Emir Mishal…

8 hours ago

Former Iranian diplomat urges strategic dialogue with Europe amid rising sanctions

Jalal Sadatian, Iran's former ambassador to the UK, has called on Iranian officials for immediate…

9 hours ago