Media Wire

Israel to block visas for UN officials following comments by Guterres on Palestine

Israel will halt visas for UN officials following comments made by Secretary-General António Guterres about the crisis in the Middle East, Israel's ambassador to the UN stated on Wednesday.

Among his remarks Tuesday to the Security Council, Guterres said Hamas’ October 7 attacks on Israel “did not happen in a vacuum”.

“As a result of this, we will refuse visas to UN representatives,” Ambassador Gilad Erdan told the Israeli Army Radio on Wednesday.

Israel has already rejected a visa application by the UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, Martin Griffiths, he stated.

“It’s time we teach them a lesson,” Erdan added.

Guterres said Hamas’ attack on southern Israel came amid years of “suffocating occupation” suffered by Palestinians at the hands of Israeli forces. They “have seen their land steadily devoured by settlements and plagued by violence”, he added.

Hamas raided parts of southern Israel earlier this month, killing at least 1,400 people and abducting more than 200 others, according to Israeli authorities.

Israeli strikes have since killed more than 6,500 people in Gaza, including over 2,300 children, according to the Palestinian health ministry.

Israel’s fierce bombardment and complete blockage on the Palestinian enclave have flattened entire neighborhoods, depleted the health care system and endangered the lives of civilians who face severe dehydration and starvation. Israel’s “collective punishment” of Gaza civilians amounts to a war crime, Amnesty International announced.

The Palestinian Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Israel’s criticism of Guterres was “unjustified” and represented a “lack of respect and compliance practiced by the occupying state against the United Nations”.

Griffiths, the UN Emergency Relief Coordinator, has been unequivocal in his call to help Palestinian civilians in Gaza.

“I reiterate the Secretary General’s call for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire to ease the epic human suffering in Gaza,” he said on Tuesday.

“If we are to prevent any further descent into this humanitarian catastrophe, dialogue must continue,” he wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter.

IFP Media Wire

Reports and views published in the Media Wire section have been retrieved from other news agencies and websites, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Iran Front Page (IFP) news website. The IFP may change the headlines of the reports in a bid to make them compatible with its own style of covering Iran News, and does not make any changes to the content. The source and URL of all reports and news stories are mentioned at the bottom of each article.

Recent Posts

Iran’s Karroubi issues first statement following end of house arrest

Mehdi Karroubi, one of the leaders of Iran's 2009 election protests, who was recently released…

4 hours ago

Germany financing Ukraine’s use of Starlink alternative: Reuters

Berlin is financing Ukraine's access to a satellite internet network operated by French company Eutelsat,…

4 hours ago

Macron to helm EU’s negotiations with Putin: Telegraph

French President Emmanual Macron is readying to become Europe's point person in talks with Russian…

4 hours ago

Iranians hold funeral for late judicial official Hossein Ali Nayyeri

A funeral procession was held for former Iranian Judiciary official Hossein Ali Nayyeri in the…

4 hours ago

Official says Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant to triple electricity production

The director of the Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant, in Southern Iran, has announced that the…

7 hours ago

Iranian President: US behavior contradicts its call for negotiations

Iranian President, Masoud Pezeshkian, emphasized that the United States' global actions contradict its requests for…

7 hours ago