Media Wire

UK army to drive fuel tankers amid crisis

British military personnel are to be mobilized within days to drive truck drivers, in response to fuel shortage across the UK, according to Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng.

Kwarteng confirmed soldiers will be driving the tanker fleet within days – despite claims from his colleague George Eustice that the Army would not be deployed to help with the petrol crisis.

Panic-buying at petrol stations has triggered a shortage of fuel at the pumps over the last week.

This is because there are not enough HGV drivers to distribute the product around the country at the moment, leading to speculation that the government would call on the Army to assist.

When pressed about why the Army was only on standby and not currently mobilised by ITV News, the business secretary stated, “Anyone versed in military defence issues knows it takes a couple of days, sometimes a few days to get troops on the ground.”

Speaking on Wednesday, he noted, “We’ve decided to do that – and I think in the next couple of days, people will see some soldiers driving the tanker fleet.”

His comments are a direct contrast to remarks from environment secretary Eustice on Monday.

He told Sky News, “We have no plans at the moment to bring in the Army to actual do driving, but we always have a civil contingencies section within the Army which is always on standby if we need them, but we don’t judge that is necessary at the moment.”

Kwarteng also tried to reassure the public that, despite ongoing queues outside petrol stations and fights breaking out across the country, the fuel crisis is “clearly stabilising”.

He continued, “If we look at the inflows yesterday of petrol – they were matched yesterday by the sales, so that means the situation is stabilising.”

“I think people are behaving quite responsibly, actually,” he stated, adding, “Clearly we have the Army on standby, we’ve made preventative measures, we’ve tried to alleviate the HGV driver shortage by changing visa rules.”

Johnson echoed this message and noted the situation was “stabilising” on Tuesday, while transport secretary Grant Shapps stated things were “getting better on the forecourt”.

However, industry sources told The Times that the disruption could stretch over several weeks because the petrol stations will need time to restock.

BP is reportedly expected to experience issues throughout the next month.

IFP Media Wire

Reports and views published in the Media Wire section have been retrieved from other news agencies and websites, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Iran Front Page (IFP) news website. The IFP may change the headlines of the reports in a bid to make them compatible with its own style of covering Iran News, and does not make any changes to the content. The source and URL of all reports and news stories are mentioned at the bottom of each article.

Recent Posts

Police: 838 die in road accidents in Iran during Nowruz holidays

At least 838 people have been killed in road accidents across Iran from the beginning…

13 hours ago

Iranian MP: Iran will negotiating with US on an equal footing

The head of National Security and Foreign Policy Commission of Iran's Parliament says Tehran will…

13 hours ago

Iran spox deplores instrumental use of rights mechanisms by Germany, UK Against Tehran

Spokesman for Iran’s Foreign Ministry, Esmail Baqaei, expressed regret over the continued exploitation of human…

17 hours ago

Rabat Qoli Caravanserai in northeastern Iran: A timeless crossroads of culture, commerce

The Rabat Qoli Caravanserai, a centuries-old waystation in North Khorasan’s Jajrom County in Iran, stands…

19 hours ago

Iran raps UN human rights resolution, warns about Israel’s crimes against humanity

Iran's Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the United Nations in Geneva, Ali Bahraini, denounced the…

19 hours ago

Twin earthquakes rattle southern Iran, no major damage reported

A 4.4-magnitude earthquake struck near Shiraz, southern Iran, early Friday morning, according to the University…

19 hours ago