Media Wire

Shell suspends Red Sea shipments amid fears of Houthi strikes

The British oil company Shell has suspended all shipments through the Red Sea indefinitely after the US and UK attacks against Yemen triggered fears of further escalation, the Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday, citing people familiar with the decision.

Last week, the company took the step to halt all crossings over concerns that a successful attack on one of its ships could trigger a massive spill in the region, as well as present risks to the safety of crews on the ships, according to the report.

Last month, rival oil company BP announced it had temporarily paused all transits through the Red Sea.

Several shipping companies have suspended their operations in the Red Sea amid Houthi attacks.

In solidarity with the Palestinians in Gaza, the Yemeni armed forces have targeted ships in the Red Sea with owners linked to Israel or those going to and from ports in the occupied territories.

In response, the US has formed a military coalition against Yemeni forces in the Red Sea and endangered maritime navigation in the strategic waterway.

The US and Britain, backed by Bahrain, Australia, Canada and the Netherlands, struck more than 60 targets at almost 30 locations in Yemen on Friday, killing five people and injuring six others.

On Saturday, the US Central Command (CENTCOM) announced that a “follow-on action” was conducted against a Yemeni radar facility by the Navy destroyer USS Carney using Tomahawk land attack missiles.

Brigadier General Yahya Saree, spokesman for the Yemeni Armed Forces, stressed all American and British ships and warships participating in the aggression are “hostile targets”.

Yemen’s Houthi group has also accused the United States on Tuesday of pressuring shipping companies to suspend operations in the Red Sea.

“The suspension of operations by shipping companies in the Red Sea is the result of American pressure and intimidation,” Houthi spokesman Mohamed Abdel-Salam said in a statement.

He termed the suspension of shipping operations in the Red Sea as an “inaccurate position” and “only serves the tendentious American propaganda”.

IFP Media Wire

Reports and views published in the Media Wire section have been retrieved from other news agencies and websites, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Iran Front Page (IFP) news website. The IFP may change the headlines of the reports in a bid to make them compatible with its own style of covering Iran News, and does not make any changes to the content. The source and URL of all reports and news stories are mentioned at the bottom of each article.

Recent Posts

Police: 838 die in road accidents in Iran during Nowruz holidays

At least 838 people have been killed in road accidents across Iran from the beginning…

11 hours ago

Iranian MP: Iran will negotiating with US on an equal footing

The head of National Security and Foreign Policy Commission of Iran's Parliament says Tehran will…

12 hours ago

Iran spox deplores instrumental use of rights mechanisms by Germany, UK Against Tehran

Spokesman for Iran’s Foreign Ministry, Esmail Baqaei, expressed regret over the continued exploitation of human…

15 hours ago

Rabat Qoli Caravanserai in northeastern Iran: A timeless crossroads of culture, commerce

The Rabat Qoli Caravanserai, a centuries-old waystation in North Khorasan’s Jajrom County in Iran, stands…

17 hours ago

Iran raps UN human rights resolution, warns about Israel’s crimes against humanity

Iran's Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the United Nations in Geneva, Ali Bahraini, denounced the…

17 hours ago

Twin earthquakes rattle southern Iran, no major damage reported

A 4.4-magnitude earthquake struck near Shiraz, southern Iran, early Friday morning, according to the University…

17 hours ago