Media Wire

Russia says doesn’t need to draft more soldiers

Russia does not need another mobilization and has been signing up volunteers for contract service, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov has stated, refuting a Financial Times report claiming that such a new draft was being planned.

The FT claimed, citing several sources who spoke to the outlet, that in order to maintain momentum in the conflict and launch a new summer offensive, Moscow will need to mobilize more troops. According to one source, allegedly close to the Russian Defense Ministry, “by the end of this year, or early next year, a new partial mobilization wave will become inevitable”.

However Peskov told reporters on Saturday “It is unlikely that FT understands the real picture. I can only say that we are actively recruiting volunteers willing to serve on a contract basis, the process continues daily. And the president [Vladimir Putin] has said more than once that, according to our military, there is no need [for another mobilization]”.

Last month, Ukraine’s Volodymyr Zelensky also claimed that Russia was planning to mobilize an additional 300,000 troops by as early as June 1. To that, Peskov at the time simply responded “not true”.

Russia carried out a partial mobilization in September 2022, seven months into the conflict. This allowed 300,000 people, primarily those with previous military experience, to be called to duty. Following this, further recruitment was carried out on a voluntary basis.

In December, Putin stated that Russia does not plan to announce a second mobilization, noting at the time that the inflow of volunteers had been exceeding expectations. In early April, the Defense Ministry said that more than 100,000 Russian citizens had volunteered for military service since the beginning of the year.

Meanwhile, Ukraine has been struggling to replenish the ranks of its army amid a series of setbacks in the conflict. Last month, Kiev adopted a new mobilization law that lowered the conscription age from 27 to 25, expanded the powers of enlistment officers, and introduced stricter penalties for draft dodgers. Earlier in May, a law was also passed allowing some prison inmates to be released on parole for joining the military in an effort to address critical shortages of manpower on the front line.

Zelensky previously insisted that only 31,000 Ukrainian servicemen had been killed in the conflict so far. This figure was treated with skepticism even among Ukraine’s Western sponsors. The Russian Defense Ministry, meanwhile, has claimed that Ukrainian military casualties this year alone have amounted to over 111,000 soldiers.

IFP Editorial Staff

The IFP Editorial Staff is composed of dozens of skilled journalists, news-writers, and analysts whose works are edited and published by experienced editors specialized in Iran News. The editor of each IFP Service is responsible for the report published by the Iran Front Page (IFP) news website, and can be contacted through the ways mentioned in the "IFP Editorial Staff" section.

Recent Posts

Bahraini king appreciates Pezeshkian’s positive remarks on bilateral ties

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has told Bahrain’s King Hamad bin Issa Ale Khalifeh that Tehran…

8 hours ago

Iran Police: 747 Killed in Nowruz Holiday Road Accidents, Highways Overflow with Vehicles

The head of Iran's Traffic Police announced that 747 people died in road accidents during…

13 hours ago

Iran says UN Security Council Inaction Emboldens Israel’s Violations

The Foreign Ministry of the Islamic Republic of Iran emphasized that the continued inaction of…

13 hours ago

Qazvin: A Prime Destination for Iranian, International Tourists

Located 160 kilometers west of Tehran, the city of Qazvin stands as one of Iran’s…

14 hours ago

Iran Parliament National Security Committee chief warns against US, Israel adventurism

The Chairman of the Iranian Parliament's National Security and Foreign Policy Committee issued a stern…

15 hours ago

IAEA chief to visit Iran for talks over “unresolved issues”

Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Rafael Grossi, has voiced willingness to visit…

15 hours ago