Media Wire

Pentagon says Ukraine will lose the war without US billions

If the US stops funding Ukraine, Russia will win the ongoing conflict between the two countries, US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin told the US Senate Appropriations Committee, making the case for $44 billion more in military and other aid to the government in Kiev.

“I can guarantee that, without our support, [Russian President Vladimir] Putin will be successful,” Austin told the senators on Tuesday.

“If we pull the rug out from under them now, Putin will only get stronger and he will be successful in doing what he wants to do.”

Austin and Secretary of State Antony Blinken were asking the lawmakers to approve President Joe Biden’s $106 billion supplemental funding request, which has bundled the Ukraine funding with aid to Israel and Taiwan, among other things.

Of the proposed $44.4 billion for Ukraine, $12 billion would go towards buying weapons and $18 billion would be spent on replacing weapons the US has already sent Kiev.

Cybersecurity, “intelligence support” and “enhanced presence” of US troops in Europe would cost another $10.7 billion, while $3.7 billion would be spent to “expand production capacity in our industrial base,” according to Austin’s opening testimony.

Both cabinet secretaries embraced the White House’s new talking points for Ukraine aid, portraying it as a way to support the US economy by expanding industrial production and creating new jobs for Americans, though it has done neither so far. The US has already spent $43.9 billion on “security assistance” to Kiev since February 2022, by the Pentagon’s own reckoning.

Austin’s argument echoed the one made by Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky to congressional Democrats last month, according to a feature published in Time Magazine on Monday. If the US does not send Ukraine more aid, “we will lose,” Zelensky reportedly said.

The article also quoted Zelensky’s aides, who described him as delusional, unwilling to accept that Kiev is “out of options” and “not winning,” while issuing orders that some line commanders have begun to refuse.

Meanwhile, according to Time, even if the US and its allies could somehow supply Kiev with all the weapons and ammunition it needs, Ukraine has run out of men to use them.

IFP Media Wire

Reports and views published in the Media Wire section have been retrieved from other news agencies and websites, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Iran Front Page (IFP) news website. The IFP may change the headlines of the reports in a bid to make them compatible with its own style of covering Iran News, and does not make any changes to the content. The source and URL of all reports and news stories are mentioned at the bottom of each article.

Recent Posts

Iran Urges Shanghai Cooperation Organization to Condemn Trump’s Threats

Majid Takht-Ravanchi, the Political Deputy of the Islamic Republic of Iran’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs,…

2 hours ago

Iran’s Nowruz holiday sees 796 road deaths, 17% fuel consumption spike

Iranian authorities reported 796 fatalities and over 18,000 injuries during Nowruz holiday road accidents, while…

2 hours ago

IRGC: American, Zionist Plots Cannot Stop the Israel Demise

The Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) of Iran emphasized that the Zionist and American seditions…

2 hours ago

Russia warns against military action on Iran’s nuclear program

Russia's Foreign Ministry issued a formal statement on Wednesday opposing any military solution to concerns…

4 hours ago

Kuwaiti Emir assures Iran: No aggression from our soil

Iranian President Massoud Pezeshkian engaged in a phone conversation on Wednesday with Kuwaiti Emir Mishal…

4 hours ago

Former Iranian diplomat urges strategic dialogue with Europe amid rising sanctions

Jalal Sadatian, Iran's former ambassador to the UK, has called on Iranian officials for immediate…

4 hours ago