Media Wire

Israeli attacks on UNIFIL could be a war crime: UN chief

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has warned that any attacks against the UN peacekeepers “may constitute a war crime”, his spokesperson said after Israeli tanks burst through the gates of a peacekeeping base in southern Lebanon.

“UNIFIL peacekeepers remain in all positions and the UN flag continues to fly,” UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said in a statement.

“The Secretary-General reiterates that UNIFIL personnel and its premises must never be targeted. Attacks against peacekeepers are in breach of international law, including international humanitarian law. They may constitute a war crime,” he added.

Dujarric added that UNIFIL personnel and its premises must never be targeted.

He urged all parties, including the Israeli military to refrain from any action that put UN peacekeepers at risk.

UNIFIL announced Israel had “deliberately” fired shots at its headquarters in the town of Naqoura in recent days.

At least five peacekeepers have been wounded in recent days in southern Lebanon. The UN chief strongly condemns attacks on peacekeepers in southern Lebanon as a violation of international law and a war crime.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has called on Guterres to relocate peacekeepers from southern Lebanon.

Earlier on Sunday, 40 countries contributing to the United Nations peacekeeping mission in Lebanon demanded an immediate halt to Israel’s attacks on peacekeepers.

“Such actions must stop immediately and should be adequately investigated,” said the countries in a joint statement posted on X by the Polish UN mission on Sunday.

The contributing nations reaffirm their “full support for UNIFIL’s mission and activities, whose principal aim is to bring stabilization and lasting peace in South Lebanon and the Middle East”.

UNIFIL is tasked with monitoring a ceasefire that ended a 33-day war in 2006 between Israel and Lebanon’s resistance movement Hezbollah. It was first established as an interim force in 1978 to confirm Israel’s withdrawal from Lebanon.

The mission now involves about 9,500 troops of some 50 nationalities.

IFP Media Wire

Reports and views published in the Media Wire section have been retrieved from other news agencies and websites, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Iran Front Page (IFP) news website. The IFP may change the headlines of the reports in a bid to make them compatible with its own style of covering Iran News, and does not make any changes to the content. The source and URL of all reports and news stories are mentioned at the bottom of each article.

Recent Posts

Police: 838 die in road accidents in Iran during Nowruz holidays

At least 838 people have been killed in road accidents across Iran from the beginning…

13 hours ago

Iranian MP: Iran will negotiating with US on an equal footing

The head of National Security and Foreign Policy Commission of Iran's Parliament says Tehran will…

13 hours ago

Iran spox deplores instrumental use of rights mechanisms by Germany, UK Against Tehran

Spokesman for Iran’s Foreign Ministry, Esmail Baqaei, expressed regret over the continued exploitation of human…

17 hours ago

Rabat Qoli Caravanserai in northeastern Iran: A timeless crossroads of culture, commerce

The Rabat Qoli Caravanserai, a centuries-old waystation in North Khorasan’s Jajrom County in Iran, stands…

19 hours ago

Iran raps UN human rights resolution, warns about Israel’s crimes against humanity

Iran's Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the United Nations in Geneva, Ali Bahraini, denounced the…

19 hours ago

Twin earthquakes rattle southern Iran, no major damage reported

A 4.4-magnitude earthquake struck near Shiraz, southern Iran, early Friday morning, according to the University…

19 hours ago