Media Wire

Iran condemns US veto on Gaza ceasefire resolution at UN Security Council

The Iranian Foreign Ministry has denounced the United States for vetoing a United Nations Security Council resolution that demanded a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip, where Israel has killed nearly 44,000 Palestinians during the past 13 months.

“Despite overwhelming global support for, and 14 UNSC members’ backing of Gaza ceasefire, the outgoing Democratic US administration vetoed the draft resolution, revealing its full contempt for innocent lives and regional peace and adding to its 13 months long complicity in Israel’s genocide,” Esmaeil Baghaei said in a post on his X account on Thursday.

“This disgraceful veto not only marks another failure of UNSC to uphold its Charter based mandate but also serves as a US-granted license for occupying regime to continue its carnage in Gaza and Lebanon with impunity,” he added.

“This is in stark violation of established IHL (international humanitarian law) principle ‘respect and ensure respect’ as well as the Genocide Convention and entails United States international responsibility for complicity in atrocity crimes,” Baqaei noted.

The US on Wednesday vetoed a resolution at the UNSC demanding an “immediate, unconditional and permanent” ceasefire in the Gaza Strip, as Israel’s bombardment of the Palestinian territory continues.

The US voted down the measure while the 14 other members of the council voted in favor.

While the resolution called for the release of captives held in Gaza, Washington had voiced opposition to its demand for an “unconditional” ceasefire.

This is the fourth time that US President Joe Biden’s administration has vetoed a resolution calling for an end to the war in Gaza since Israel’s military offensive began in October of last year.

To date, nearly 44,000 Palestinians have been killed in the Israeli bombardment of Gaza, which has also plunged the coastal territory into a humanitarian crisis.

IFP Media Wire

Reports and views published in the Media Wire section have been retrieved from other news agencies and websites, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Iran Front Page (IFP) news website. The IFP may change the headlines of the reports in a bid to make them compatible with its own style of covering Iran News, and does not make any changes to the content. The source and URL of all reports and news stories are mentioned at the bottom of each article.

Recent Posts

Police: 838 die in road accidents in Iran during Nowruz holidays

At least 838 people have been killed in road accidents across Iran from the beginning…

11 hours ago

Iranian MP: Iran will negotiating with US on an equal footing

The head of National Security and Foreign Policy Commission of Iran's Parliament says Tehran will…

12 hours ago

Iran spox deplores instrumental use of rights mechanisms by Germany, UK Against Tehran

Spokesman for Iran’s Foreign Ministry, Esmail Baqaei, expressed regret over the continued exploitation of human…

15 hours ago

Rabat Qoli Caravanserai in northeastern Iran: A timeless crossroads of culture, commerce

The Rabat Qoli Caravanserai, a centuries-old waystation in North Khorasan’s Jajrom County in Iran, stands…

17 hours ago

Iran raps UN human rights resolution, warns about Israel’s crimes against humanity

Iran's Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the United Nations in Geneva, Ali Bahraini, denounced the…

17 hours ago

Twin earthquakes rattle southern Iran, no major damage reported

A 4.4-magnitude earthquake struck near Shiraz, southern Iran, early Friday morning, according to the University…

17 hours ago