Iran DM Dismisses Haley’s Claim about Latest Yemeni Missile

TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami dismissed as “baseless” US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley’s renewed claim that a missile fired by Yemen toward Saudi Arabia on Tuesday had been provided by the Islamic Republic.

Speaking at a meeting of commanders of the Iranian Army in Tehran on Wednesday, Brigadier General Hatami denounced “unfounded and baseless allegations” levelled against Iran by Haley and said such claims are indicative of the failure of Washington’s policies in the region and the world.

Such remarks are more like “a ridiculous and worthless show”, the defense minister said.

He further made assurances that the Islamic Republic would take necessary steps to pursue the issue through legal channels.

Addressing a meeting of the UN Security Council on Tuesday, Haley said the missile fired by Yemen’s Houthi movement toward Saudi Arabia on Tuesday “bears all the hallmarks of previous attacks using Iranian-provided weapons” as she pushed the council to act.

She urged the Security Council to punish Iran for what the Trump administration calls its “dangerous violations” of UN resolutions and “destabilizing behavior,” while Russia said dialogue is needed rather than threats or sanctions.

During a press conference on Thursday, Haley appeared standing before parts of a ballistic missile that she claimed Iran delivered to Houthis in Yemen, who then fired it at the Riyadh airport in Saudi Arabia last month.

Iran’s Ambassador to the UN Gholam Ali Khoshroo rejected Haley’s claim as “baseless” and said the accusations are aimed at covering up the Saudi war crimes in Yemen with the US complicity.

Yemen’s defenseless people have been under massive attacks by a coalition led by the Saudi regime for nearly three years but Riyadh has reached none of its objectives in Yemen so far.

Since March 2015, Saudi Arabia and some of its Arab allies have been carrying out deadly airstrikes against the Houthi Ansarullah movement in an attempt to restore power to fugitive former president Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh.

Over 14,000 Yemenis, including thousands of women and children, have lost their lives in the deadly military campaign.

IFP Media Wire
Reports and views published in the Media Wire section have been retrieved from other news agencies and websites, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Iran Front Page (IFP) news website. The IFP may change the headlines of the reports in a bid to make them compatible with its own style, and does not make any changes to the content. The source and url of all reports and news stories are mentioned at the bottom of each article.
   
   

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

11 + nineteen =

*