Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says Tehran will not accept any revision to the Iran nuclear deal under any circumstances.
In a video message on Thursday, the Iranian top diplomat called the JCPOA a binding deal for all sides as it was unanimously approved by the United Nation’s Security Council.
“The UN nuclear watchdog has confirmed that Iran has implemented all its obligations. In contrast the US has consistently violated the agreement especially by bullying others against doing business with Iran,” he said.
He expressed regret that apparently the response of some European states to US President Donald Trump’s unhappiness with the deal has been to offer the US more concessions from “Iran’s pocket”.
“This appeasement entails promises of a new deal that include matters that we all decided to exclude at the outset of our negotiations including Iran’s defence capabilities and regional influence. But please understand on both issues it is Iran and not the West that has serious grievances and much to demand,” he noted.
The Iranian foreign minister also said Iran has not attacked any state for centuries but had been invaded by others, the most recent case of which was the invasion by Iraq under former dictator Saddam Hussein backed by the US and its allies.
“Despite that haunting experience, we still spend a fraction of countries like Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates on defence and our missiles have a shorter range than those of Saudi Arabia. And unlike US allies in the region who have brainwashed, financed and armed such groups as al-Qaeda, the Taliban and the ISIS, we have been pivotal in defeating these extremist groups,” he added.
Zarif underlined that Iran will never hold new round of talks on the JCPOA and said threats would not lead to a new deal.
He finally advised the US officials to honour their commitments under the deal or they have to accept responsibility for the consequences of their violations of the deal.