Of the 16,500 homes that were in need of repair after the March and April flooding in Khuzestan, 13,000 have been completely repaired, director of a headquarters tasked with coordinating the reconstruction of flood-affected areas said on Saturday.
Nasrollah Dehqani told the Ministry of Road and Urban Development’s news portal that a total of 20,184 dwellings had been registered in the list of damaged or wrecked homes in the wake of floods, noting that repairs to the remaining buildings will be carried out by late October.
He also noted that reconstruction of the other 3,600 houses destroyed by the flood will begin as soon as the weather conditions allow for open-air construction activities.
Thousands of people in Khuzestan were evacuated in April after torrential rains inundated residential areas and farms.
People in more than 200 villages had been evacuated in the oil-rich province and housed in makeshift tents.