Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif deplored a plan recently proposed by former US ambassador to the UN John Bolton for Washington’s withdrawal from the nuclear deal between Tehran and six world powers, known as the JCPOA, saying the plan would isolate the US.
“I have read Bolton’s plan, which he apparently has failed to directly send to the White House; it would definitely (bring about) a major defeat for the United States, and will make America more isolated in the international arena,” Zarif said in remarks released on Wednesday.
“This is not the first time that Bolton is present in this field,” he said, adding that Bolton’s policy was followed by the US about 15 years ago, and the Americans are well aware of the result.
“If his policy had been successful, the US would not have needed to come to the negotiating table and reach an agreement with Iran 10 years (after pursuing the policy),” the Iranian top diplomat went on to say.
According to media reports, Bolton has proposed that the US administration “announce that it is abrogating the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) due to significant Iranian violations, Iran’s unacceptable international conduct more broadly, and because the JCPOA threatens American national-security interests.”
Iran and the Group 5+1 (Russia, China, US, Britain, France, and Germany) on July 14, 2015, reached a conclusion over the text of the JCPOA.
The accord took effect in January 2016 and was supposed to terminate all nuclear-related sanctions against Iran all at once, but its implementation has been hampered mainly due to US policies.