IFP has taken a look at the front pages of Iran newspapers on Wednesday and picked headlines from 20 of them. IFP has simply translated the headlines and does not vouch for their accuracy.
Guardian Council, the body in charge of vetting the credentials of hopefuls for the late February elections of the parliament and the Assembly of Experts, has released the final list of qualified candidates. This means all political factions will start releasing lists of their candidates. Tonight, the candidates will officially start their election campaigns across Iran. Most of the papers on Wednesday February 17, 2016 covered these developments.
Minister of Foreign Affairs Mohammad Javad Zarif’s address in the European Parliament was also covered by most papers on the day. Furthermore, developments in Yemen, Saudi policies in the region and Iran’s latest oil industry developments were also taken up by the dailies.
Here are the top headlines:
- Al-Ebadi says ready for resignation
- FM Zarif: EU, Iran proved diplomacy works
- S. African President Jacob Zuma to visit Iran Feb 28
- Obama to pay first visit to Vietnam
- N. Korea neighbors call for more sanctions on Pyongyang
- Amano endorses nuclear arms-free zone in Middle East
- MP to Veep: Over 5,000 Iranian lose jobs under Rouhani admin every month
- EU calls for ending Gaza siege
- Ali Motahhari: They kept silence because Ahmadinejad was one of them
Ali Motahhari was an outspoken government critic during Ahmadinejad administration.
- Rafsanjani: Humiliating other nations is favored by a certain minority
- Parliament election campaigns officially start tonight
- Zarif to EU Parliament: We will either survive or sink together
- New oil opportunity for Iran
Russia, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Venezuela have collectively agreed to reduce their crude oil supply to global markets in a bid to diminish the market oversupply that has slashed prices by at least 70% over the past 18 months.
1.Post-JCPOA Iran no country for goods imports: official
The director of the presidential office has said the Iran will have no room for the import of goods now that the JCPOA, commonly called nuclear deal, has gone into effect.
2.Iran first, determining power in region: Shamkhani
Ali Shamkhani, the secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, said this.
3.Zarif to EU Parliament: Syrians, not Saudis, will determine result of talks
4.Sale of Iranian corporate mogul’s assets from next week
Iran has finished hearing sessions in the trial of Iranian billionaire Babak Zanjani, who is facing corruption charges. As a verdict, his properties will be sold to pay for his debts.
5.Iran weightlifter Behdad Salimi beck to exercises
- FM Zarif: Some regional states hand in glove with terrorist groups
- Iran revers Quran servants
- Rouhani: Iran keeps lobbying to bolster regional security
- Damascus: Turkey equips Takfiri terrorists with chemical weapons
- 6,233 hopefuls qualified for parliament election
- Gov’t Spokesman: Troubles of production units real
- Culture minister calls for creation of artworks out of Qur’anic, ethical values
- Unveiling of 70 indigenized drugs since March
- Iran, Japan to boost trade
- Iranian ethnic fete in major tourism exhibit
Iran and Russia has signed a MoU to enhance tourism ties.
- List of reformist, moderate hopefuls finalized
- Gov’t spokesman hopes developmental thinking wins elections
- Iran poised to initiate economic JCPOA: Official
- JCPOA 2 no longer confidential: Gov’t Spokesman
Iran: No plans for Saudi talks
- Shamkhani says people’s well being is the chief priority of nuclear deal
- Vice President: Fate of Iran economy tied to sea interests
- Iran gas distribution network top in world
- 3 futsal players eye becoming top Asia scorers
- Iran reacts to new Saudi oil market plot
Iran says it will keep boosting crude exports to its pre-sanctions quota.
- Iran unveiled 14 new drugs
- Saudi-UAE clashes intensify over Yemen
- Rouhani: Cementing close, friendly ties with regions is Iran’s principal policy
- Iran opens largest hospital for burning incidents
- Petroleum Ministry endorses diesel engines for cars
- Labor Minister: insurance coverage under way for kidney, liver transplants
- Judiciary Chief: Enemy aims at creating chasm in society
- Clinton pats Zionists for killing 200k Gazans
- Liquidity growth 93% in 30 months
- Shamkhani: Iran to respond mischief in JCPOA implementation
- 21 contenders for every parliament seat in upcoming election
- Viewpoint: American-Zionist genocide
- EU trial in EU Parliament
Minister of Foreign Affairs Mohammad Javad Zarif answered questions in the European parliament openly and spoke of European double standards.
- 75m Iranians receive monthly cash handouts from gov’t
- Zarif to EU Parliament: Europe cannot be safe while other parts of world are unsafe
- US banks’ ultimatum to world on trade with Iran
- MP [government critic]: Admin fueling rent seeking
- Can ceasefire be established in Syria in a week time?
- Iran military advisors will leave Syria only at Syrian gov’t’s request: FM Zarif
- Security the female kind
A report about the history of women police officers and their activities in different countries.
- Iran Air ceded to private sector
- Rap music album becomes a hit
- Shell starts paying debts to Iran
- 100% tax exemption for hotels, travel agencies
- Iran launches stadium in Ardebil
- Iran resumes searching for oil in Caspian sea
- Iran in diplomatic talks with Turkey over water
- Iran needs $50bn/y investments in 6th plan
- Those who created Babak Zanjani (corporate mogul) must be ashamed: Vice President