Saudi Arabia’s airstrike targeting the Iranian embassy in Yemen’s capital, Sana’a, was a premeditated state-sponsored act of war which runs counter to all international regulations, says a senior Iranian lawmaker.
Saudi Arabia must be held accountable for the act of aggression against the Iranian mission in Yemen, Chairman of the Iranian Parliament’s Committee on National Security and Foreign Policy, Alaeddin Boroujerdi, said on Sunday.
The attack on Iran’s embassy, which was carried out intentionally, can well be pursued by Iran’s Foreign Ministry in international organizations, he added.
The Iranian legislator also stressed that the Saudi government must compensate Iran for all damage it has inflicted on the country, stressing that the Islamic Republic reserves the right to follow up on this issue by taking legal action through international authorities.
On January 6, Saudi warplanes targeted Iran’s embassy in Sana’a, damaging the mission’s building and wounding a number of security forces guarding the place.
One day later, Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hossein Jaberi Ansari roundly condemned the “deliberate” Saudi attack, saying it was a “violation of all international conventions and regulations” in protecting diplomatic missions under all circumstances.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Saturday that the Islamic Republic has so far exercised patience with regard to negative measures adopted by Saudi Arabia.
“We have so far responded to negative Saudi measures with patience because there is a distance between Iranian wisdom and Saudi officials’ misguided and immature approaches,” Zarif said, emphasizing that Iran does not seek tension in the region.